09 October 2016

Fall Break and The Rain

Hello All,     

Returning to campus after a few days at home with family, I noticed the end of Fall Break had also signaled the beginning of the infamously long-lasting Oregon rains.  Usually, the rain starts at the beginning of October and continues fairly consistently until the beginning of May.  For some, this proves to be a questionable period of the year.  For me, however, I find it to be a particularly beautiful time, and not just because of my deep love for rain boots.  Aside from the occasionally gray skies, the rain brings with it a certain atmosphere of cleansing relaxation.

A trio of raccoons spotted over Fall Break conducting meaningful
dialogue on 18th colonial architecture

This last week was spent mostly counting the seconds until Fall Break began.  However, the week was not without excitement.  

On Tuesday, I had my first Senate Finance Committee meeting.  As part of my student senator position with the ASLC Student Government, I’m required to take on an additional student committee position.  I was lucky enough to be accepted into the Finance Committee, in charge of allocating over $40,000 to various student initiatives and projects throughout the year.  I think one of the most interesting aspects of L&C is the strong independence they offer their students, especially financially, and the student-run finance committee is a great example of the independence itself.  

We had only one proposal at the meeting, and after careful deliberation, we as a committee awarded a student significant financial aid for an on-campus photography exhibition.  Being that it was the first committee meeting of the year, I wasn’t too sure exactly what to expect.  However, it was an incredibly rewarding and interesting experience, and I’m now very much looking forward to next week’s meeting!

For those of you who missed my first blog post, I finish each post with a cheap joke, as I believe humorous puns are the spice of life.  Additionally, I add a “Song of the Week” in order for you readers to get to know me more personally.

Cheap Joke Sunday: Have you ever tried to eat a clock? 
  It's very time consuming.

Song of the Week: “Jealous” by AlunaGeorge

I’ll be posting weekly on the Real Life Blog, on either Saturday or Sunday.  For any questions, comments, or cheap jokes you’d like to share with me, you may contact me via email at zack@lclark.edu. 

Thanks for stopping by,

Zack