Oktoberfest and other shenanigans

Hello everyone!

This past week has been full of studying and midterms. I have had 4 exams in the last 3 school days. I think they all went pretty well but I am very happy to be done and look forward to being on Fall Break tomorrow afternoon!

This past weekend was extremely fun. Even though I had lots of studying to do I am very thankful I was able to find some time to have fun as well. I think it's really important to find a balance between school work and fun at college. We all come to college to learn, so of course our classes are extremely important, but I also think it is extremely important to find some time to de-stress and enjoy time with friends.

On Friday, I went in to downtown Portland and ate at a Sushi restaurant with three of my really close friends before we went to see an Ed Sheeran concert at Roseland Theater. I had been looking forward to going to see Ed Sheeran ever since last June when I bought the tickets and it ended up being even more wonderful than I had imagined it would be. It was great because the three friends I went with I haven't been able to see that much this year because our schedules are so different and we're all very busy. It was wonderful to spend some time with them. It was also just a great way to let go and enjoy some music.

Here is a picture of me and my friend Molly meeting Passenger (Mike Rosenberg). He is Ed Sheeran's friend, and a wonderful musician, who opened the show for him.


Saturday was the German Oktoberfest party! It was absolutely wonderful. There were games, typical German food, German music and great company. The German club, German classes, German apartment and German TA spent all of friday and saturday morning preparing for the party. They made pretzels, delicious spinach dumplings, gingerbread cookies, potatoes, and more! It was a beautiful day so the party was held right outside of the West Apartments on the patio. There was a really good turnout and it ended up being a lot of fun. It gave me a chance to practice speaking some German, which I am always happy to do, and learn more about German culture. I also took part in one of the games and won a jar of Nutella! I ran the obstacle course against the German TA, Kathi. We both had a cup full of water that we had to hold above our head the whole time while trying to spill as little of it as possible. While doing that we had to jump over chairs, run while flossing our teeth, unbuckle and put on a bike helmet with one hand and jump from a chair over the finish line. It was great fun.

This is a picture of the obstacle race:

And a picture of a gingerbread cookie that I decorated:



This fall break I am going on the Raft Guide Clinic to the Deschutes River with College Outdoors so I'll have lots to write about in my next post.

Until then, I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your week.

See you soon.

-Delia

P.S. As always, feel free to contact me at drussosavage@lclark.edu if you have any questions or just want to say hello!