Injuries, Fall Ball, and the End of the Semester

    Hey people! Sorry for the weird title, but I couldn't come up with a better way to describe my week. It is an understatement to say that it was a crazy one. I'll start with telling you guys about fall ball. Fall Ball (for those of you who didn't read last week) is a school sponsored event at the Crystal Ballroom downtown. The idea is to go, have fun, and basically dance your face off. That is exactly what I did. We got ready at Madeline's apartment. I was ready in about five minuets, but Madeline and the other girls took a little longer. I hung out with some of the other dudes for a while. After we were all ready we went down to some buses the school had provided for transportation to the venue. I like this system, because 21ers don't have to worry about driving, or taking public transportation, home. The dance was pretty fun. We danced all around and had a general good time, it lasted until one. I was up pretty late, which normally wouldn't have bothered me. However, I concussed myself earlier in the week, and it made fall ball a more difficult experience. I couldn't really concentrate, and the lights hurt my eyes. 
   I got my concussion from being a dummy. On Tuesday, I played a pick-up basketball game in the gym. Once a week I try to get away from tennis and play basketball, or do something else that is fun and athletic. Anyway, this week I decided to play basketball. It was going great until I got a little to competitive and tried to drive when I should have passed. In the course of my drive I ran into another guy. Initially I though nothing had happened, and I kept playing for a little. However, afterward when I went to do my workout, I started to feel a little funny. I was in the middle of a hang-clean progression and, all of a sudden, it felt like my head was going to explode. So I went to the trainers and they diagnosed me. The treatment is to simply sit in a dark room, so that is what I did. All in all, it was a very boring experience. I didn't miss any class (that was probably a mistake), but I still fell behind. I am finally feeling better, so most of my Monday was spent caching up on readings I missed.
   It is very lucky I am getting better, because the end of the semester is looming. I am about to jump into my final projects and essays. For me, it is a fun time. For some reason I really enjoy the grind of finals. I'm not sure if it is the intellectual stimulation, or the fact that afterwards I get to see my family that makes it so great. I would guess it is probably a mixture of both. School can be a strain, but I think as long as you have fun and remember why you are where you are, it can actually turn into a pretty positive experience. Anyway, I am about to go celebrate my feeling better by playing a set against one of my teammates, Morgan. I hope you all have a great week.

Best,

Carter