Almost Spring Break!

I'm going home in four days! I just have two midterms before then (and some miscellaneous readings and other assignments), then I'll be on my way home to see family, friends, and pets! I'm eager to have a week where I don't have too much work to do, because I know I'll be hitting the ground running when I get back. There's only about a month of classes after break, then finals!

Besides going home, people have a lot of options for spring break. Some travel with friends to nearby cities like Seattle and Vancouver. Some go home with friends, to experience their hometowns. College Outdoors offers spring break trips, like hiking/kayaking the Redwoods in California, doing yoga on the Oregon coast, and surfing on the coast. The Student Leadership and Service program runs some alternative spring break trips to places like the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota, Northern California, the Arizona/Mexico border, and El Salvador. Other people stay on campus and use the time to explore Portland, or go out on their own camping trips.

This last week was pretty good. I had my midterm in Global Resource Dilemmas, which I think went well. We're getting it back tomorrow, so we'll see. Symposium planning is continuing to be a lot of work, but it's rewarding.

I also got a disposable camera developed, which was fun. I felt kind of silly using a disposable camera, since I have a phone and it's so much easier just to use that, but I really liked the way the pictures turned out.

A small waterfall on the hike I took about a month ago
My friend beginning to walk behind a waterfall on that hike
The reflecting pool, when it snowed in February
Downtown Portland, near Powell's
I have one more disposable camera, and I'm eager to use it and develop those pictures.

Saturday I student coordinated a College Outdoors birding trip to Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge in Washington. We left around 12:30 and got back around 6, and saw 49 different kinds of birds (and a variety of mammals, reptiles, and amphibians)! I've signed up for a few more trips this semester (backpack service project, edible plants and wildflowers, and canoeing (!)). I'm excited!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me at rekidder@lclark.edu!

-Rebecca