Seraphie's Study Abroad: Mardi Gras in Sydney

Parade Day in Sydney:

Over the weekend, I was lucky enough to fly back to Sydney to attend the Mardi Gras parade! Oh, not only did I attend the parade, but I marched in it! For those of you who do not know, the Mardi Gras in Sydney is like San Francisco’s Pride! When I arrived in Sydney on Saturday afternoon, I could already feel the buzz of excitement on Oxford Street. Queer-looking people were everywhere! All the shops were adorned in rainbow colors and many of them had “Happy Mardi Gras” displayed on their windows. The ATMs… well, just take a look: 
 
Sydney Mardi Gras

And look at the receipt I got from the ATM! 
 
Sydney Mardi Gras

I marched with Dayenu, an organization established to meet the needs of Jewish gays, lesbians, bi-sexuals, trans and intersex people, as well as their friends, families, partners and other supporters. They provide outreach through education, information, resources, social activities and other events.
We met a couple hours before the parade began in order to get all sparkled up and to rehearse our dance to a remix of Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You!” I could go into much more detail, but I will spare you and just give three highlights:
  1. Making awesome friends (my favorite were the three older ladies I got drinks with).
  2. Walking around before the parade and seeing all the awesome floats!
  3. Getting the biggest rush marching past thousands of people who were screaming and out there to support us!
Grocery Store Celebrations! Happy Mardi Gras
 
Favorite friend of the night!

Too much! Oh too much!

You Have the Right to Remain Fabulous

More friends
On Sunday morning I slept in, worked on my paper, ate Moroccan food with my friends, watched Tangled, and went to bed. Monday morning I flew back to Brisbane at 6am and was in class at 9am—ta-da! 
 
The End! 
 
-Seraphie 
 
PS: Australia is awesome!