April showers? Nope. It's as sunny as can be.

I've been working on a paper and I'm really feeling burned out on writing, so this is going to be a shorter entry. It's a beautiful weekend up here in Portland. On Friday, my roommate and I went downtown to meet up with some friends for dinner.


We went to Brunch Box - a restaurant I have always wanted to go to! I got this fantastic sandwich-burger-breakfast thing. It has a sausage patty, bacon, ham, grilled onions, syrup, and a fried egg, and the buns are made out of French toast. Everything I love about breakfast in each decadent bite. Mmmmmmm! I already want to go back for more. 


After Brunch Box we went to Safeway for some groceries and I saw this... oddity. Very vague. Yes, please, I will have three "unique fruits." Um, what??? 

\

In other news, we just had the housing lottery. A lot of my friends are moving off-campus to houses in the surrounding neighborhood, but I will be living in Akin Hall again for one last semester before I go to Australia for a study abroad program in the spring. Have I mentioned how awesome Lewis and Clark's overseas program is? We have trips that go everywhere from Japan to Chile to Morocco! 

Well, now it's back to the library for more paper-writing. The poem I chose for my final English paper won't be the most interesting thing I've written about this semester, but it's still something I'm pretty intrigued by and have a lot to say about. Do you know the poem "Goblin Market"? It's fairly well-known and actually circulates as a children's book - though I personally think it's way too creepy to be for kids. Anyway, the poem I'm writing about is by that same author, Christina Rossetti. It's called "In an Artist's Studio" and I'm using it to discuss how women are portrayed in Victorian paintings. Rossetti emphasizes how the woman in the poem is portrayed "not as she is" but as the male artist imagines her - as a "queen," a "nameless girl," "a saint," and "an angel." And at one point, the narrator of the poem states that the artist "feeds upon" the face of the woman he paints! His art fuels his fantasies about her. So there's a lot to talk about with regard to gender.

If you have any questions about life at LC, just email me at jessicakostka@lclark.edu!

Jess