Hello Again!


Hello, my name is Amelia Berle and I will be one of Real Life’s bloggers this year.  I’m a sophomore here at Lewis and Clark.  I blogged last year as well, so feel free to go back and see what first-year life was like.  Since it’s a new year I’ll go ahead and introduce myself again.  I come from a small town in Tennessee where I live on 33 acres that I share with my parents, two siblings, two cats, two parakeets, and a dozen chickens.  I’m a biology major, though I haven’t technically declared that yet, and I am one of the two vice presidents of L&C Fire Arts (a club specializing in, you guessed it, spinning fire).  My weekends tend to focus more on camping or a good book than parties, so you won’t see much about L&C’s nightlife in my posts.

"Five Words in Orange Neon" by Joseph Kosuth

This last weekend’s adventure was admittedly pretty schoolwork-y.  Saturday was Museum Day Live which means participating museums across the country offer free admission.  ‘Free’ is a college student’s favorite word, so a few of us who need to visit a museum for a class (ceramics in my case) went while the price was right. 
 
The Eutectic Gallery

My first stop, however, was actually an art gallery.  Again, for my ceramics class, I needed to visit and write a page on it.  The Eutectic Gallery is located on the far side of the Willamette so odds are you won’t simply wander by it, but if you happen to, go on in.  Galleries are free and, in addition to art, this one has two large, fluffy dogs.

Max
The Portland Art Museum is huge, I got turned around multiple times. (Luckily, my roommate has a better sense of direction inside large, maze-like buildings than I do).  It’s a fantastic place to wander through and it is incredibly close to the Pio (Pioneer Express) stop.  They also offer free admission the first Thursday of every month so consider checking it out when you’re here.

"Untitled" by Robert Gober
Have any questions? Feel free to email me at ameliaberle@lclark.edu