OMSI Brain Fair

Hey friends!

The 8th week of the semester has come to a close and we're moving in to our second round of midterms. I have my bio 200 one on Monday (ACK - writing this is my study break lol).

This week was another week that just seems to get faster and faster. It was a bit rainier this week and as we're moving into midterms, you can kind of feel the stress in the air. This week was rougher for me, just a lot of stuff going on. However Friday was kind of sunny, I got off work early (!) and last night a friend of mine had a little BBQ, so I took the night off and hung with friends.

This morning I skipped my run - when I woke up at 7 it was pouring rain and my bed just felt so comfy - but I came downtown to OMSI - the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry.

I've never been to OMSI before - and even today I didn't go into the actual museum for any exhibits. For my Brain and Behavior class we had to go down to the Brain Fair put on by OHSU - Oregon Health & Science University at OMSI.

Brain Fair

I looked into two specific booths. The first one was studying how the brain changes during puberty by studying how the brain of the Manduca sexta (the Tobacco hawk moth) and how the brain of the caterpillar changes when it becomes a moth. 

Larval Stages of the Moth's Development 

The second was on the study of methamphetamines on the human brain by studying mice brain's. 

Poster from the Brain Fair 
The fair was very cool and there was a lot of interesting booths to look at - however I'm so busy that I didn't get to spend as long as I wanted there. I'm camped out in my usual Starbucks doing my homework and studying for this biology midterm. 

That's all for this week, 
if you have any questions, you can always reach me at ksaylor@lclark.edu

~Kate