Dance Till You Drop



Hey friends!

So I put off posting until Sunday for a few reasons.

1. Yesterday I was totally swamped with hours (and I mean 7 hours) worth of homework. I did my normal morning run, in the rain, and then camped out downtown at Starbucks for the remainder of the day to work on my molecular bio problem set, doing my molecular bio exam reflection, reading my 3 articles for disease ecology, reading and responding to my psych article, researching and creating my pysch panel presentation, researching and creating my study abroad culture presentation. I didn't even start studying for my Chinese midterm I have tomorrow, that’s happening after this blog post.

2. Today I had my first Dance X showing! A showing is basically a closed mini performance of just the choreographers and dancers to show what we have created so far and to receive feedback. It's really cool to see where all the other pieces are in their process and to get comments on our own piece, especially since we never see the other pieces. We have auditions the first week of school and you're cast into a piece. The rest of the semester you only work with your group and only see the other people at the two showings and then at performances so it's cool to get a sneak peak and inside view into the other pieces that will be performed in December.

This year we have 7 pieces to perform. We have 5 student choreographers and 2 guest choreographers; one is an alum and the other is a professional from another school (maybe U of O...?)

During the showing we run through our whole piece twice; the first time people watch and the second time we write little comments and feedback that our choreographers will later get.

This was the first time we had run the entire piece nonstop with all the music transitions and lemme tell you. Omg. I was dying. Our piece is high energy a mix of jazz, and fosse almost? It’s really exhausting, but I think it’s coming together really well :D

I was waiting so I could post pictures from today, but it turns out I think the photographer who was there today won't get us pictures until later :( so sorry folks, but I'll post photos when I get them!


Cheers,
Kate

If you have any questions about dance X feel free to email me at ksaylor@lclark.edu