Bye to Brisbane

Hey Friends,

wowza. I feel like I just posted; long days short weeks is right. Today is Wednesday and we leave Brisbane on Friday. It feels like just yesterday we got here.

Yesterday was a really fun day :) You might have caught some of it on the Lewis and Clark Instagram story. We were scheduled to have a lecture down on the Gold Coast, but the lecturer ended up not being able to make it; however, they weren't able to cancel the bus so we were able to have a few hours off in Surfers Paradise! It was a bit cloudy and windy but still a great day at the beach after finishing one morning lecture :)

Surfer's Paradise is supposedly the Australian version of "Miami Beach" according to our trip leader. I've never been to Miami so I couldn't tell ya, but it's pretty commercial with buildings that go right up to the beach front. The beaches were busy, but not grossly crowded. It's aptly named though, theres surfers everywhere! I even got to try for half a second before the surf rescue (the life guards) told us my friend wasn't allowed to be teaching me.


On the rock wall, getting splashed :)

Walking along the shopping strip


 As our time is wrapping up finishing our time in Brisbane, we're also finishing our Venom Biology projects and research papers. On Friday we travel to an Aboriginal Camp! I'm not sure what to expect yet, besides a very integrated learning experience. From now on we're back in the field and traveling all over the place. (That being said, I'm not sure when I'll be able to post, but I will as often as I can!)

Summing up Brisbane, I didn't explore the city as much as I wish I had, or as much as I did in Sydney. It's definitely a cool city I would come back to though! Taking the City Cat ferry to UQ everyday was for sure one of my highlights. I also spent a bit of time at the Queen street mall, which I'm not a mall person, but it was fun to explore and really cool to people watch. It's always bustling and there's almost always some event happening whether it's a Luggage "yard" sale, farmers market, art's and crafts fair or something else. Davie's Farmers Market is one of the coolest markets I've gone to, comparable to the Boulder Farmers Market. Eat Street was another great spot, but probably more of a "been there done that" place for me; it's a bit over crowded and hyped, but really amazing food options and fun music and things happening.

I'm excited to see what's next, but as always, I'm sad to leave. I'll keep you updated on the next adventures though :)

If you want to check out Lewis and Clark on instagram you can find them here: https://www.instagram.com/lewisandclarkcollege/?hl=en

If you want to ask me any questions, or reach out I'm available at: ksaylor@lclark.edu

Until next time :)
Cheers,
Kate