All Sorts of Critters


Our marine biology research project has continued this week.  In addition to the amphipods we were looking for we’re finding all sorts of other cool things in the sand we collected including worms, some long bugs I don’t recognize, and a shrimp.  We’re hoping to have our report drafted by next Friday so I should start working on that.

A rather grumpy looking shrimp

I'm not really sure what these are
I spent this weekend catching up on sleep and then gardening, exploring the woods, and playing with my critters.  I live off campus and the yard of the house I’m renting is black plastic and mulch, nothing else.  I’ve started a fairly healthy container garden to help add some green.  I have tomato and pumpkin plants which seem to be doing well and I just transplanted cauliflower and peas into larger pots.  

Just down the road from my house is an old graveyard.  It’s used as a community space so lots of people go on walks, pick berries, or play with their dogs there.  The area is partially wooded so it’s home to a lot of wildlife.  While we were bringing my housemate’s dog to the graveyard for a romp, we saw a really beautiful coyote.  The locals call him Charles.  I’ve been told he was a part of a nearby pack, but got kicked out and has been living around the graveyard for the past year or two.  He’s never caused any trouble so other than the occasional dog who feels like chasing a coyote, Charles has been left alone.

Charles the coyote

I also spent time bonding with my critters.  I have two rats, Jasper & Mr. Snow, and a pigeon, Tuppence.  The two rats are very friendly and had a lot of fun looking for carrot chunks in a pile of cardboard and paper.   Tuppence is still working on being tamed down.  Walking down a street in Portland you’d be surprised that a pigeon would take awhile to tame because you can get the feral ones to come up to your hands for food, but not Tup.  Tup’s a picky eater.  I’d never have thought I’d meet a pigeon who wouldn’t eat bread, but here I am today.  Tup only eats her seed mix.  No matter what I try to offer her she ignores it completely and will pick around it in her food bowl.  We made some progress this weekend and she finally sat on my hand for a bit.  I was so proud!

Mr. Snow trying to get carrot out of a tube

Jasper wondering what I'm doing

Have questions about life at L&C? Please email me at ameliaberle@lclark.edu