Thanksgiving on the Oregon Coast

Hello everyone!


We only have two and a half more weeks of classes and then reading days and finals! Where has the time gone? I can’t wait for winter break and spring semester!

This year I was not able to go home to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family, but I did get to celebrate it with friends on the Oregon coast through a College Outdoors trip.

Wednesday night through Saturday evening was spent with CO. During the trip we stayed at Camp Kiwanilong in northwestern Oregon. The cabin that my friends and I slept in was unheated but we had nice sleeping bags to keep us warm at night. The main lodge was heated and spacious with a large kitchen for all of the Thanksgiving food we made.
Making Thanksgiving Dinner!

Wednesday night when we arrived we stayed up late playing games and solving riddles. Thursday was spent just hanging out in the lodge. It was very relaxing. I helped peel vegetables and make pumpkin pies. People worked on homework, read books, watch movies, played guitar, napped, and played frisbee. It was really fun to hang out in the kitchen because it smelled amazing and we were listening to fun music.
Hiking

On Friday we drove closer to the coast and did a hike through the forest that overlooked the ocean. The hike was so beautiful. It was very green and had huge trees but it was also very muddy and slippery. After our hike, we stopped to look at the ocean from the beach.

I was definitely feeling a little sad and homesick to not be going home when everyone else was. The CO trip really made me feel much better. I got to hang out with some of my good friends I had already made and I met some new people as well. It was also nice to just have a chance to finally relax and do nothing at all after always being crazy busy with everything at school. I would highly recommend going on the CO Thanksgiving trip if you are ever unable to go home for break.

Have a wonderful day,

Sarah