1/8 of the way done with college: a reflection on the 2018 fall semester

Hello everyone!

SC/AL Training Trip
This is my final post of the semester! Sometimes it feels like going on my new student trip and going through new student orientation was just yesterday. I can imagine the sunshine and playing frisbee with my friends on the lawn when we didn’t have any homework because classes had not started. But also, so much has happened between the end of August and mid-December. I have grown in all aspects and have had so many new experiences. College, and being so far from home, has really pushed me in new ways


Fall Break Canyonlands Trip
It has been 17 weeks since I left my home in Minneapolis and flew out here to Oregon. I remember thinking this past summer and wondering what my life at Lewis & Clark would be like. I remember trying to imagine the kinds of people I would have friends with, how my dorm would look, where I would study, the fun adventures I would go on. Right now I am sitting in the library with one of my friends - taking a break from studying to write this and reflect on my first semester.

I have genuinely loved the classes I took this semester. My intro to international relations class only solidified my prior intentions of being an International Affairs major and pursuing a career in that field. My colonial Latin American history class expanded my knowledge of Latin American history beyond what I had learned in high school and I had cool projects in that class which allowed me to learn in a new way. I was honestly unsure about what Exploration & Discovery would be like and if I would like it or not. My E&D class this semester was super cool! Our theme of “oppression & resistance” was very fitting to the required texts and also led to very relevant conversations and debates on society today and the oppression and resistance happening around us.
Thai Tea Latte from my fav food truck!
I drank a lot of boba this semester

This semester, I got to go on awesome outdoor adventures throughout Oregon - exploring the mountains, the coast, the desert, and the river. I joined the crew team and got to spend my evenings rowing on the Willamette River and hanging out with a very supportive and fun community. I have made friends in all different areas of college - friends in classes, in clubs, in my dorm building, and more. I got to lunch host prospective students and work for the English & History departments. I have eaten lots of Thai food from the food trucks downtown and gone to get pho and ramen. My nights have been filled with studying in Watzek and also with singing or watching movies with friends. The sun stayed out longer than usual so I got to enjoy an abnormally sunny fall semester which was very nice too.

August 28, 2018
The day we returned from our NST :)
Every day really is a new adventure and brings new challenges. Sometimes college is stressful and overwhelming but at the end of the day, I am very grateful that I ended up here. I can't wait for the spring semester!

Happy holidays,

Sarah