IT'S SPRING

Hello everyone!


a sunny day on the
first day back in Portland
Welcome back to the blog! I am super excited to be back at LC and jumping into the spring semester. I just finished the first week. Over winter break I went back home to Minnesota and I also went to Bolivia for a couple of weeks to volunteer and learn. During my break, I read The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell (very interesting book, I highly recommend). It is always a little bittersweet to head back to college. The excitement of a new semester and getting to see all my friends at school again is awesome but I also do miss my family and friends back home. I was ready to get back to Portland and be in a nice rainy 50 degrees versus the freezing cold below zero temperatures happening in Minnesota right now.


This semester I am taking 4 class (17 credits - 1 is from rowing in the spring): Exploration & Discovery (the theme of mine is “Understanding How We Understand the Maya), IA 290 Middle East Politics, Economics 100, and Chinese 202. I have my first 8am this semester but it only meets twice a week so it’s not so bad - plus then I get the class done and have more time in the afternoon that is free. On Monday/Wednesday/Friday my classes don’t start until 12:40pm which is new for me and I also have 3 of my classes back to back on Monday and Wednesday.


my fave spot in the library
Currently, in my E&D class, we are reading the Popol Vuh which is “the definitive edition of the Mayan book of the dawn of life and the glories of gods and kings”. It is a really cool book that was translated from the indigenous language into English and describes the beliefs the Mayan people had on how the world and everything in the world was created. This semester my hardest class is my econ class because it’s at 8am and the content is not something I am super comfortable with yet so it is going to take the most work to try to wrap my head around all these different curves and equations and graphs. But I know I can do it!!


This semester I am also continuing on the crew team. We officially start practice on the water again on February 4th which is so awesome because I can’t wait to get back on the water and have the whole team together again. In the spring, we get to do more races which is super cool. We go to Seattle again for the Husky Open and even to California for WIRA.


Besides blogging, I am also working as an Admissions Ambassador by lunch hosting again and now tour guiding. I just had my tour guide training and will be shadowing tours this coming week and then next week I will start giving tours of my own! I have always wanted to be a tour guide so this is like a dream come true. I am a little bit nervous but mostly excited to meet prospective students & families and share LC with them. I am also continuing my job as an office assistant for the LC English & History Department.


I have a very busy semester ahead of me but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Have a wonderful day,
Sarah


Questions? Email me at: slind-macmillan@lclark.edu