Chilly Weather

Ivanova's First Snow

As a number of people have mentioned, it has been snowing here.  We got one half-day off of classes last week and it snowed again this weekend.  At the moment though it is thundering and raining slush. (Which is much less fun than snow or rain separate, I’d say).  I’m from Tennessee (in a spot where we get snow just a little less often than Portland) so I have been having a lot of fun with the snow.  With the half-day off two of my housemates and I went exploring the local woods.  We found a traffic cone (one of the medium sized ones you can buy at a store) and we’ve decided to go back for it later to place in our other housemate’s parking spot.

The nearby pond has frozen over, but not terribly thickly.  I saw someone’s dog bust through it to play in the water.  You just can’t keep a labradoodle from swimming if they want to.  The owner brought him home shortly after that, but it looked like he was having fun.  Meanwhile, the kids in our neighborhood have constructed and 8 foot tall snowman, so I know I’m not the only one excited by the weather.


I work for College Outdoors so before the snows this weekend I happened to be in the office when they were making plans to bring sleeping bags down to the main part of campus in case any school staff are forced to stay here because the roads iced up.  My understanding is L&C offered the spare rooms and sleeping bags to the cooks/other employees who are still needed over the weekend because many rely on public transportation or cars that aren’t suited for icy hills.  I’m proud of how we are handling the challenges that come with large amounts of snowfall in a city that’s not prepared for it.

Feel free to contact me at ameliaberle@lclark.edu with any questions!