Dealing with Midterm Stress

Hello everyone!

Wow! I can’t believe week 5 of spring semester is already over. I think we’re about a third of the way done with this semester. That being said, the first round of midterms have begun. This past week I had my Middle East politics midterm and now this coming week I have an American politics midterm (on Monday) and an econ midterm (on Tuesday) - so I have a LOT of studying to do today. The sun came out this week! On Thursday, we had a whole full day of sunshine so everyone was outside soaking it up. On Friday, we had our first 2k test/race on the ergs so that was fun but also really hard.

This week I just wanted to share some tips for getting through midterms. I am definitely feeling the stress of midterms this semester because I am taking harder classes and am busier too with other clubs.

During midterms, I think it’s important to sleep, spread out your studying, and do some fun things too. I have to keep reminding myself that it will all be okay - because it really will. One exam doesn’t define you and there’s always time to improve and learn and grow. For me, I think testing is sometimes stressful because everyone kind of gets collectively stressed which just heightens the stress for others. For example, if I am feeling okay about my exams or assignments but the people around me are expressing their stress I am more likely to start having that mindset because that’s what I am surrounded by. So my tip is to stay positive and try not to let other people’s stress get to you.

Sleep is key!! There’s been lots of research and such that says going getting enough sleep is more beneficial than trying to cram all the info into your head until 3am. Throughout the week I honestly try to go to bed at 9 or 10 pm. I am much more of a morning person and I enjoy getting up earlier and having more time to get things done. Put in some good study time throughout the day and then go to sleep!

It’s definitely good to spread out your studying. If you have time, it’s good to do a little practicing every day starting the week prior. You’ll learn the material better because you’re exposed to it multiple times. However, if you only have a day or two to study then I think it's good to have a study plan and take strategic breaks. For a lot of classes, my method has been rewriting my notes by hand and/or making flashcards for the terms/concepts.

Also, take a little bit of time to do something fun - self-care! I spent all day reading yesterday but then hung out with my friends at night and watched all of the new Netflix show “Russian Doll” (if you haven’t seen it it’s pretty good, think the concept of groundhogs day mixed with Black Mirror). Taking a break from studying is important for your mental health.
So during this time of testing, I try to always remind myself that the world and life are bigger than just one exam. And I remind myself to take a deep breath and remember that I am smart and competent and I can do it! I always try to hype up my friends before they go into a test because going in with a positive attitude can make all the difference.

Have a wonderful day! Wish me luck on my exams

Sarah