Sophomore Classes

Once I had decided I was going to Lewis & Clark for college, I was always daydreaming about what classes I might take as a college student. So far I've really enjoyed almost all my classes and professors Sometimes some of my required classes have been less interesting, but the professors have always cared about what they're teaching which makes it easier to enjoy the class. And this semester is one of my favorites so far, I'm really loving all my classes and my professors are all really amazing people that I enjoy being around.

Since I know I was always interested to know what college classes are actually like, I thought it would be nice to share what classes I'm taking this semester and how I like them. I'm a political science, Hispanic studies major, so those are the majority fo the classes I'm taking,
  • Spanish 370 Latin America / Spain: Enlight-Present
    • I kind of wound up majoring in Hispanic studies on accident because I wanted to take Spanish every semester to keep up my language skills, and it just made sense to major at that point. And its the best accidental decision I've ever made. The Spanish department is really good, and the classes are really interesting. This class, in particular, is great because I really enjoy the professor, and I've gotten to know lots of people who got back from study abroad. And the content that we're reading is interesting too because we get little snapshots of history and literature from all over Latin America and Spain. 
  • Political Science 305 American Constitutional Law: Civil Liberties 
    • This is a notoriously tough class because constitutional law is no easy subject, and the professor teaches it like a law school class. And it is tough, but also really rewarding. I'm interested in going to law school, and this is a really good trial class, and it's nice to connect with people in the class who are also interested in law school. Overall, it's just really nice to connect with other political science because I always wind up meeting people who nerd out about the same stuff as I do, and are considering similar paths after graduation. 
  • Political science 346 State and Local Politics 
    • I think this is my favorite class this year. It's really small with only 10 of us, and we have really good conversations about the papers we read. We're learning about the fundamentals of state politics, and looking at it through environmental issues, which is such a relevant issue right now. I've taken one class with this professor before, and I know I will probably have 2 more classes with her in my time at LC, and I really appreciate having those connections to professors that I have had more than once. So far my favorite part of this class has been taking a field trip to the state capital and talking with LC alums that are working there. It was really helpful for me to envision future careers that way. 
  • Environmental Studies 220  Environmental Analysis Lab
    • This class is a 5 credit lab class and it fulfills one of my science gen ed requirements. I'm really glad I'm taking this class as one of my requirements. The professor genuinely really enjoys teaching, and you can tell in every class period.  The 3 hour labs can feel long but she's always really good about giving us breaks. It's also sometimes nice to take classes outside of my majors because I always wind up meeting new people I wouldn't have run into otherwise. And I always find interesting connections among my classes this way. 
  • Spanish 351 Advanced Conversational Spanish (2 credits) 
    • This class is really relaxed and just a fun way to practice speaking Spanish. Every language department offers these 2 credit conversational classes where you are required to show up to class three times a week and speak the language, but there's no homework or big requirements. And they're taught by the language fellows who re usually grad students in their 20s, so it's a really nice casual environment where you feel comfortable speaking. I took one of these classes in my first year, and I really enjoyed it, and I'm really enjoying taking another one. Plus it feels like good preparation for studying abroad in span next semester
  • PE Swimming (1 credit)
    • Finally, it's always nice to take a PE class and force yourself to have the motivation to work out. And I really enjoy swimming so this is just a nice reason to get up and workout twice a week at least. 

As always, if you have questions or want to chat bout life at LC, please feel free to email me at quentingaul@lclark.edu