A Visit From the Midwest

Hello everyone!

This has been a very full and productive week. I knew going in that it was going to be very busy and I had a lot to get done so I didn’t waste any time getting to it. On Monday night I started writing the paper for my religious studies class that was due Friday. 

Tuesday was a really good day. It was sunny and warm out which was a plus. I also went for a 6 mile run in the middle of the day which was so awesome because it’s now my farthest run ever and my fastest run yet. I’ve been in a little bit of a running rut because last week my shins and knees were in a lot of pain. The runs that I did were not great and then I just stopped running for a week to give my joints a break. It was nice to come back from a rough week of running and feel strong in my movement again. I am still signed up to run the half marathon at the end of April so we’ll see how the rest of this training plan goes. I know that no matter what it will be a challenge to my physical fitness and ability but I also know that it can be a really positive and empowering experience. 

When Friday rolled around the rain also came back. For the first time in a while it really rained and it was cold again. I was exhausted by the end of the day on Friday from another busy week but continued to work on homework to ease my load for the next week. 


My friend Zoe, from home, came to visit me this weekend which was so fun! I picked her up from the airport on Saturday morning and we headed west along the Columbia River Gorge to Multnomah Falls. After that we came back into the city and hung out in the Division-Hawthorne area as well as Sellwood. We went to Nama Ramen in Sellwood for lunch and it was really good. Then we came back to campus and hung out for a bit. For dinner, we went downtown and met up with my roommates at Grassa which is this handmade paste place. Post-dinner, we made a quick stop at Trader Joe’s for some grocery shopping and then got ice-cream at Salt & Straw in Lake Oswego. Even after a full day I had dance rehearsals for Dance Y from 8-10pm and then did a little bit of studying after it. 


Today, Zoe and I went over to the east side for brunch at The East Burn. I had a really good tofu scramble with potatoes and vegetables. Then we ventured into downtown and hung out at Powell’s and got donuts. We managed to fit in a pretty full tour of Portland in two days! It has been so fun to get to hangout with one of my great, life-long friends from home. I've loved getting to show Portland to her and do all the fun touristy things. I would definitiely recommend having your friends visit you in college and/or go visit them.

After my dance rehearsal this afternoon, I was in the library from 5 till 8pm studying with people from my art class for our midterm tomorrow. I have definitely been feeling really stressed about it as I have said here and to literally everyone I talk to. However, after our study session I am feeling more confident and at ease. There is a ton of information to process and I know that there is no way I will ever remember it all perfectly and I am okay with that. I at least feel more comfortable in a lot of the themes, vocab, and ideas. After 10:10am tomorrow I will not have to worry about it any longer and life will continue moving no matter how I do on the test. Wish me luck!

Have a wonderful day,
Sarah