Community From Afar



Sadly, I am not writing to you from the beautiful campus of Lewis & Clark, Like almost all of LC, I have returned home and am going to continue my classes from online. As much as this pandemic has affected current college students, I know it also deeply affecting all the high school students who were planning on visiting schools and making important decisions this spring. I know that it must be a frustrating experience for so many of you, but I'll do my best to continue writing about my experiences at Lewis & Clark so that you can get a glimpse into student life.
Firstly, I wanted to talk about how grateful I am for all of my professors in this crazy time. Over the last week when we rather suddenly had to move out of our dorms and head back home, my professors were very flexible and made classes optional or canceled them altogether. Just today my advisor sent out an email to check in with all his advisees, not just about the upcoming registration, he just wanted to reach out to everyone to say he's there to talk. And yesterday my Spanish professor sent out a survey about how we want to deal with online class after our spring break and she also included questions asking how we are and if we need anything that we can ask her. Those are just two examples of many where my professors have gone out of their way to reach out to us or change their class plans to help us get through this rough patch. Even though we can no longer have in-person classes I have no doubt my professors will keep working to help their students as best they can. Most of them have also been really good about having open communication about any challenges they're having because it's a tough time for everyone, and they treat us as equals.

Secondly, I'm really glad we have the dean of students that we do. Robin Holmes-Sullivan might be the most popular and well known administrator on campus. She typically manages everything having to do with student life, and she is always on top of everything and just a joy to interact with. During this pandemic she has been put in charge of this difficult transition into online classes and off campus living, and she is doing amazingly all things considered. The school sent out the first major email anouncing online classes about a week and a half ago now, and that night Robin came to the student government meeting and took students questions for almost 2 hours, and she was patient and thoughtful the entire time. At certain points students even brought up concerns that the administration hadn't thought of yet, and she made notes and promised to address those things. Now I'm not saying the administration's handing of the situation has been absolutley perfect, but after comparing experiences from friends at other schools, LC is doing very well on communicating with students and trying to help us through this situation. Robin's personal dedication to helping students is emblematic of how most LC staff and faculty are trying to work through everything.

Thirdly, I am glad my Con Law proffesor has a sense of humor in times like this. And since I can't put it in better words than he did, he is his inspriing email to all of us from a week ago: 

-----

Howdy.

So classes have gone online. You're debating whether to leave campus. Your internship has gone to shit. You have absolutely, positively no motivation to write that paper right now.

Times like these call for one thing. And one thing only.

Disco.

Bee Gees "Stayin' Alive"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNFzfwLM72c


Maxine Nightingale "Right Back Where We Started From"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckCwBAhz4oc


The Spinners "Rubberband Man"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSMVflSBKx8


Brothers Johnson, "Strawberry Letter 23"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rquygdjf0d8

Never know what's gonna be in your inbox. Music. Recipes. How to besiege a castle using only lumber and pigs.

Cowgirl up. You'll be fine.

Regards,
Todd

----

Hopefully Proffesor Lochner's words are helpful to you as well in this time of uncertainty. If you ever need more wise words I'm sure I can connect you with the man himself, or really any other proffesors you might be intersted in talking to. Please don't hessitate to ask any student bloggers about anything!

Now, more than ever, if you want to get to know L&C from afar, please email me at quentingaul@lclark.edu I'm here for any of our questions!