Changing Time as a Community


The last few weeks have been a roller coaster of changing plans for me. First my spring break plans were upended, then classes went online, then we were asked to leave campus and I moved home, and then my study abroad plans have changed  Given that these uncertainties caused by COVID 19 may continue for another year or longer, I thought I would talk about why this experience has made me really grateful to go to a small school in these crazy times. 


Right now the biggest challenges to my carefully laid plans have been cancellations of my study abroad programs. First, my trip to Spain in the fall was canceled by the program provider, and then I was going to go to Mexico for a full year until wound up deciding to cancel the full year abroad and stay on campus for more stability and safety. 

Thankfully the study abroad office was there every step of this decision process and they have been so great and responsive and helpful to me. First they sent me a very apologetic but informational email about the Spain program. Then I was able to email back and forth with them regularly to ask all the questions I had. They were so responsive and I got help from several people in the office helping me work through all the different plans that I thought might work for me 

My Professors

While I've been going through this process of changing my 4 year plan, my professors have been amazing resources for me. I emailed several of them asking for their advice and thoughts about what might happen with study abroad programs and what I should plan on doing. They were all really helpful and supportive and I appreciated hearing from them to help me decide how t change my plans because of coronavirus. 

Aside from advice on my future plans, my professors have also been amazing about changing their classes and being flexible about online education.  It has been tough to switch to online classes but the transition has been made easier because we're all in the experience together, even out professors, and they have been good about checking in with students and changing the class plan to make sure it works with everyone. 

Vice President of Student Life 

Our vice president of student life has also been an amazing leader throughout this process, and I'm fortunate enough to sit on her student advisory committee and be able to work with her directly and voice the opinions of students. It has been really reassuring to hear about the administration's plans as they are being developed. I am grateful that our Dean of Students has an advisory committee and really cares about getting input from students, and I can see that our voice is being heard. 

They've also been working hard to put together an online resource center for students now and to help keep everyone connected over the summer. I hope that over the summer we will continue to figure out how to grow closer as a community even at a distance. I know the office of student life is working hard to make that happen, and I'm happy yo have my small input on how we can make that happen. 

If you want to talk about L&C or if you have any questions, please feel free to email me at quentingaul@lclark.edu