Academic Success with Online Classes

 In this trying time, it’s hard to get everything you can out of your academic experience here at Lewis and Clark. Personally, I find it very challenging to be on zoom for any length of time. It’s draining and exhausting in a way I just can’t explain, so I do everything I can to stay on task during class. Between the internet breaking down, and not being physically in the classroom, it can be hard to get everything you can out of class. I can’t say that my grades and my techniques are perfect but I have figured out some things to help me out along the way.


Sit in a chair at a desk: This with making you feel a bit more like you are actually in a classroom.


Wake up a little before classes: this way you won’t be totally out of it when class starts then maybe you have time to eat some food, use the bathroom, put on pants. I have often been guilty of waiting until the minute that class starts and just grabbing my computer without even leaving my bed. 


Take lots of notes: this will mainly help you stay engaged and you can go back on them later to see if you missed anything. Unlike high school, teachers don’t often wait for you to write everything down. They have a lot to teach you and not a lot of time. Just write down everything you can and go back and ask questions, look through the resources they give you, and eventually, you can fill in the gaps.


Go to office hours: If there is anything you don’t understand or anything you have concerns about, go to office hours. Teachers are happy to repeat things and explain things until you understand them. You’ll be able to ask as many questions as you want and focus on little details you didn’t have time for in class. This will also show your teachers you care and are trying your best to succeed in their class. Teachers here also have a wide breadth of expertise so even if you’re not struggling you can still go talk to them and learn something new.


Get homework done early: balancing your social and academic life can be very challenging especially if you have a job or club activities on top of that. Even during this pandemic, there is lots going on here at LC. That’s why I would suggest starting your homework right after class. You can give yourself a little break to get food or brush your teeth but this is your moment where everyone else is also busy with school. You won’t be missing out on what your friends are doing.