CLUBS! What they're like, and why you should join them.

 I was stoked coming into freshman year thinking of all the clubs I could join and how I had never seen a random acts of kindness club or an Irish dance club before.  As most people do, I signed up for way too many clubs at my first Pio Fair... Pio Fair is the day where all the active clubs set up their tables in the estate gardens and folks can chat and sign up for activities! There is typically a visit from our mascot doggy and lots of treats being handed out by club leaders.



So after signing up for about 20 emailing lists, I figured out the three clubs that actually resonated with me.  Don't get me wrong, there are so many others that I would love to be a part of, but meeting times or longterm interest just didn't work out.  I had joined garden club, yoga club, and animal collective, with some occasional dabbling in other clubs.


Student organizations are an awesome way to foster community and new friendships with people that you are guaranteed to have at least one thing in common with.  Sometimes your first semester fall classes aren't going to introduce you to your people, and that's ok! Clubs can supplement that in the beginning to help expand your bubble and create fun new memories.  I also think its super important to make sure you keep a schedule outside of academics, even if you're just going to one club meeting a week!  

Some clubs are super active and involved with others more under the radar, but both have their value and place. There are clubs like Abdo's Late Show, which is mostly an audience role, where you go to see Abdo perform a sort of Stephen Colbert bit with content relevant  LC students. And others like garden club, where we have a real physical garden to take care of and have the freedom to grow and harvest all sorts of plants! There is a club for everyone, and if not, you can create one! Its not even that hard... I've done it!



This year I am most active in garden club for a couple reasons.  Most importantly because I am part of the leadership team for our club, and also because it is possible to have success as a club with COVID restrictions and limitations.  Since we are outdoors and have a decently sized space, we can meet regularly and work on projects in small groups.  Some activities that we do together are planting, weeding, harvesting, cooking, painting, planning, nursery shopping, bee keeping, cob oven building, and eating! I'd say it is a pretty fantastic way to make friends and learn about how to reconnect to mama earth and the old traditions associated with food.


Another type of club worth mentioning here is the kind that act as general resources for the student body.  Clubs like FSU (feminist student union) where you can pick up tampons, pregnancy tests, and talk with absolute honesty and KLC, our radio club that hosts events and radio shows throughout the week.  These clubs (there are plenty others) do not require you to be signed up or come to meetings, and are always available for all!


Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions! jocelyn@lclark.edu and @moonrisesoul_ on Instagram ✌