Difficult Decisions

Funnily enough, it was later in the day after my last blog post, when I said we hadn’t had many COVID cases on campus, that I received an email that we had a few more positive test results. In the big scheme of things LC is still doing well, and we haven’t had any major outbreaks here (luckily!), but it is reflective of recent trends in rising numbers of COVID cases across the country. While cases are rising everywhere, I’m grateful to be living in Oregon, where the virus has not been as severe as in other places.

But other places, including my hometown, are in far worse situations. I’m from Wisconsin, which has been an epicenter of virus outbreaks recently. My family lives there, where they are able to safely quarantine. I’m very glad for this! 



I had been planning on returning home for winter break to celebrate the holidays with my family, and even considering bringing my dog home with me! I’ve recently decided to stay in Portland for all of winter break. This will be the first time I’ve been away from my family during the holidays. I’m sad to have to make this decision, but I know that it’s the right thing to do. Flying home is risky in terms of contracting the virus, even if I get tested before leaving. There would be no absolute guarantee that I can avoid bringing illness to my family or other travellers. Driving across the country might be slightly safer, but possibly harder to get through the mountains during the winter. 


One of my roommates has already decided to stay in Portland instead of going home, and some of my other roommates have had to adjust their plans. It’s so hard to have to decide between safety and family. Within the Lewis & Clark community, we have been receiving guidance about how to reduce the spread of COVID, including minimizing contact with other people. We all have a part to play in ensuring that everyone on campus stays safe and healthy. 


I’m hopeful that spending winter break in Portland will allow me to relax a bit and find fulfilling and joyful things to do. A friend and I recently met up, masked and distanced, at the dog park so that she could meet Winnie! My roommates and I have been discussing putting up a small tree for the holidays, working on crafts together, and finally getting to our reading lists. 



I know that this isn’t a particularly uplifting blog post, but it’s what’s going on in my life right now, and I imagine others are faced with similar situations. I hope that everyone making difficult decisions during this time is able to do what feels right to support their health and the health of others. We are all responsible for caring for one another during this pandemic. Stay safe and stay connected with your loved ones! Feel free to contact me with any questions, calebweinhardt@lclark.edu