Majoring in Biology

It can be really hard to figure out what to major in and if you want to minor or double major... there are so many options that it can be overwhelming.  I've known my whole life that I was going to major in biology, since I have a longtime love for the marine science, but it wasn't until coming to LC that I decided to minor in chemistry.  I was inspired by the passion of our chemistry department and Casey Jones to be specific! This has been a tough adjustment as chemistry just doesn't come as easy to me, but the challenge is what keeps things interesting.


I can't stress enough how important it is to take a variety of classes even when you think you know exactly what your plan is... I mean that is kinda the purpose of attending a liberal arts college. I've taken philosophy classes, music classes, and language classes in addition to my major and minor classes.  They all help me explore my interests and assure me that my deepest educational interest is biology and chemistry. I was even almost convinced by my math professor to add a second minor in math to my load! Even more ridiculous... I was actually considering it... I'm sure it would have been great, but I prefer to take a load of random classes that spark my interest in addition to my required classes.


To speak a bit about our biology program, I would say that the support in our department is incredible! Now I must remind you, this is my personal experience and all perspectives are valid, but I quite like our department.  There are three intro courses, and then the freedom begins! You can pick from any of our upper level courses as a second semester sophomore. I would highly suggest learning about the biology labs that are run on campus to see if any interest you.  Undergraduate research is not easy to come by, but at LC you are encourage to get started in a research lab as soon as possible!  Labs are a really fun way to learn about what type of biology you are keen on so you can keep an eye out for summer opportunities and general networking in the field.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions!! jocelyn@lclark.edu & insta @moonrisesoul_