Making Time for What Matters

Being in college during a global pandemic and a tense political climate can make you feel like you’re being pulled in too many different directions. That’s been my experience, at least. I spend my time trying to balance two part-time jobs, my classes, more extensive Capstone work, keeping myself and others safe from COVID-19, and lately, stressing about the election results. And not much else, because that’s exhausting! When I have a moment of rest, I usually spend it scrolling mindlessly through social media or watching TV. I’m not motivated to do much besides turning my mind off for a short time. 

I’ve learned in the past two years that there’s always classwork to do. I could always be spending extra time getting ahead on assignments. My usual mindset, when I don’t make an effort to change it, is that I should always be working on something, and this takes priority over everything else. 


During normal times, there are lots of on-campus activities like sports, clubs, and fun events to break up work, but COVID has changed that. It’s obviously important to put time and effort into your classes and work, but I think that now more than ever it’s important to balance our obligations with time to de-stress, experience fun (and maybe even joy??), and take care of our physical and mental health. 


Sometimes this means scheduling creatively, getting work done before setting aside free time, or accepting the limits of what you can do (sometimes, even, skimming those last couple of pages or studying for fewer hours). 


This weekend, my roommate Amanda and I decided to take a trip to the coast. We drove to Cannon Beach with my dog Winnie, where she got to run around off-leash and splash in the waves. We got take-out at a local restaurant and then had a campfire on the beach and made s’mores while watching the sun set. This meant that we were gone most of Sunday, pushing a lot of classwork into the next week. And it was so worth it! These are the moments that I will remember from college. 



It’s easy to just get by during this time. Just doing what you have to do. And while that is a position many of us are in these days, there are still opportunities to break out of the day-to-day routine, which in turn makes work and academic stress a bit more manageable. 


I recognize that not everyone has the ability to go on a day trip to the coast, but there are small things we can all do for ourselves at least once a week. Is there a meal you’ve been really wanting to try? Can you spend 30 minutes reading a chapter of a book you’ve been meaning to start? Can you take a few seconds on your walk across campus to listen to the birds? Can you schedule a time to watch a movie with your housemates or play a game with your friends? (A side note: our house has been playing Among Us together and would highly recommend it). 


I hope everyone stays safe and connected with others during this election season. You are not alone! Please reach out with any questions: calebweinhardt@lclark.edu