A Portland Christmas

This time of year, I’m usually home in Wisconsin, with my family and pets, cozied up on a snowy day. This year has been different. Like many other people I know, I decided to stay in Portland over winter break for the first time. I was pretty sad not to be going home. This is the longest I’ve gone without seeing my family, and I’m not sure when it will be safe for me to travel home again. Luckily, two of my roommates have also stayed in Portland, so I’ve been far from lonely! I’m also pet sitting a friend’s guinea pig, so our animal family is quite large now! Despite the COVID restrictions and lack of snow, I’ve tried to include some fun holiday-themed activities in my routine. 


On the 24th I baked a pumpkin cheesecake that I’ve been looking forward to making! That evening my roommate and I drove around different Portland neighborhoods to look at holiday lights (we even put up some of our own). We came home and watched a holiday movie to celebrate. 

Lights on our porch, and Winnie’s warm sweater!


In late November I started making gifts for my family. I made each person a needle felt animal, including one of my dog Winnie! I shipped them home, and on Christmas day we opened gifts together over Zoom. Of course this wasn’t quite like usual, but it was almost like being home! I also got to see my dad’s cats and mom’s dog, who I miss lots. Later, my roommates and I had crepes and Christmas nachos, and got deep into learning how to play chess (thanks to the Queen’s Gambit)!


Like everything this year, celebrating the holidays over winter break has been different than usual. I’ve had to adjust my expectations, and enjoy the time that I do have to be with my family (even virtually). I view this year as an opportunity to remember to appreciate what we have, discover new traditions, and let go of the rest. I’m thankful that my family has been able to stay safe during this pandemic, and that I have a cozy place to call home for now. Who knows what the new year will bring, but I’m hopeful that it’s brighter than the past few months. Wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday season! 


Best wishes,

Caleb.