VANLIFE: Living Off Campus

As the semester comes to an end, I thought it might be fun to talk about my housing choice for this past semester!  Since I'm a junior, I was already planning to live off campus (pre-COVID) and had something unique up my sleeve from a project I did in high school...



My dad and I converted a Ram Promaster into the groovy little camper van so I could live that vanlife! So, pre-COVID this was going to be much simpler, but I've been able to make it work. To paint the picture for you, I have a full kitchen setup in the van and basically everything I need on a daily basis... expect a bathroom. Obviously I can't live without that for an extended period of time, and while I'd normally like to be out in nature, I can't exactly do that while classes are in session. 

To remedy the complication of campus being partially closed while living my dream of vanlife, I coordinated with some of my closest girlfriends who all are leasing a house near campus.  They have tons of parking, so we worked out a deal for me to park at their house and use their wifi and bathroom! This allows me to live close to rent-free, while being able to run away on the weekends into the wild!


Financially, vanlife off campus has been way easier compared to room & board of on campus housing. I cherish my time in the dorms, but this provides me greater value as a junior. This is definitely an unusual choice for living off campus, and could absolutely be improved, but I love it! 

There is so much to learn by having seemingly unlimited freedom in my scenery now that I live off campus.  This is something I've seen freshman have trouble with, becoming stagnant... especially now, getting out and off campus is essential for integrating into a new environment like college life. Let yourself wander (safely, I must add) and get caught up in the beauty of your new home. There's something about exploring new surroundings that makes me feel so deeply that I belong. 

I have quite a few videos on my youtube channel about my van, living vanlife during college, and I would love to make more if that is something y'all would be interested in. So I will leave it at this- get creative and follow your intuition about how (or if) you want to live off campus after your first two years. Be a pioneer and pave your own path!


As always reach out to me with any questions or comments on instagram @moonrisesoul_ or shoot me an email jocelyn@lclark.edu! Love to you all ❤ ☮ ☾