Finding Jobs on Campus

My first semester on campus I didn’t work. I took the time to settle into my new routines without work, but as soon as I got to the second semester I knew I needed to start making money. I applied to a lot of jobs on campus but never heard anything back from anyone. I didn’t understand why I wasn’t getting responses so I applied for an off-campus job which I got but then realized how hard it would be to work off-campus without a car. I was determined to get a job on campus. I checked Workday every day for new job postings and finally, there was a student calling job through admissions. I knew the woman who was the boss and got an interview the next day and was hired on the spot. 


The job was pretty chill because all we did was call students to congratulate them on getting accepted to Lewis & Clark and ask them if they had questions from current students. My best friend also got a job there too so it was fun to work with her. I have worked with admissions, the music department, as a facilitator of a class, and food service worker on campus. I haven’t had any problems with my bosses or coworkers. The work environment on campus is very supportive and nice. 


    One thing that I will say is that applying through Workday isn't the most effective, I don't know why. It seems that Lewis & Clark does a quick hiring process and doesn't let people know when positions have been filled. I have found the most success by applying then either introducing myself in person to the supervisor/ boss and letting them know I applied on Workday as well or shooting them an email including why you want the job, your availability, and a reminder that your resume is on Workday.

I work 3 on-campus jobs but I get most of my hours in the Bon (the dining hall). I love the environment. My coworkers are fun and our bosses are very understanding of us being students first whenever we need to take a shift off. During COVID it’s the perfect job for an extrovert like myself because I get to see my friends when they come in for food and joke around with people as I serve them. I am able to get 15 hours a week just from that job alone because it isn't a work-study job so it doesn't have a cap on hours.


    I was going to write this post on time management but I work 4 jobs, am a BSU co-president, and take 4 pretty demanding classes and feel like the day doesn't have enough hours in the day so I decided I might not be the right person to write on this.