LET'S TALK: BSU & clubs

BSU- Black Student Union, in my opinion is an open invitation to a community of people who not only support one another but listen to what is shared. I found BSU to be a welcoming and safe environment to converse with other black folks at LC and to even share my viewpoints and opinions. Once a week BSU hosts meetings to check in, discuss any recent national & global situations, and sometimes we just talk about our feelings. 

It’s apparent we attend a PWI (predominately white institution) and in my opinion it can be important to find your niche or group of people who you’re able to connect and relate with.

This can be extremely important in college, when I joined BSU I was a bit hesitant to be among a group of black individuals when I identified as Kenyan-American. At first I let my minor identification separate me just because I wasn’t born in the states, and now I celebrate my difference. I’ve learned that I can add another point of view to some discussions. BSU has given me the space to feel comfortable and safe in sharing my ideas, realities, and experiences, it’s a place I feel heard and mainly understood. It’s a good feeling. 


Going to college opens one up to so many environments and spaces one may or may not be familiar or comfortable with- yet. A big piece of advice for future students is to find your group(s), it doesn’t hurt to try. Definitely check out the many clubs LC has to offer, or maybe join a sport, or go out for coffee with classmates. To be a bit more specific, LC has student organizations that are of academic interest, language interests, affinity groups- inclusion and multicultural engagement, sport clubs, spiritual interests, media. I think the many, many clubs LC has to offer can help students not only find friends but help explore interest and even network. 


here are some gorgeous sunset photos from arizona, I promise there is no filter:



tchau!