LET'S TALK: race monologues and more

hi to all, hi friends,

welcome back! let’s talk about campus activities.


it’s not secret that LC has an abundance of activities, sports, and even clubs on campus and connections off campus. 


personally my first year fall semester consisted of me joining BSU & Race Monologues, Great Expectations, IME and  I also attended the Warren Race Symposium. I wasn’t exactly active as a member of black student union until this spring semester. Because I’m remote, I spend my time differently than when I was on campus. I’ve attended a couple of BSU sunday meetings and I genuinely enjoy being a part of the union and finding a sense of community.

That’s the thing about sports, clubs and activities. They have the space for students to make friends & build connections but also learn from one another and share/spread knowledge and information. I have full intentions of becoming a more active member of BSU as my time at LC evolves, as well as joining a sports team, staying connected to Great Expectations and IME and more. I’ve previously talked about the clubs on campus and what not but here I’d like to share a bit more about race monologues and great expectations. 


With BSU, this semester we’ve had constant Sunday meetings and get together to have dimensional conversations. And the club even does an amazing job of hosting other events where they include cultural talks, political/activist talks, black hair talks, and more. This is a space where people who identify as black have a sense of camaraderie, listen, learn and ask questions from one another. Our most recent zooms were about soul food night, black kinky hair, and black alumni panelist. I think the black alumni panelist was very beneficial because I was able to listen and even gain advice on how to make it through in this world that wasn’t exactly made for me, but I’m still here. 


From experience and what I understand, race monologues is a fall semester type affair where anyone is welcomed and students come together to have discussions sometimes prompted on topics and other times random/ go with the flow type discussions. I personally remember every tuesday around 5pm my friend and I would take the PIO to Freddy’s and grab coffee. This was a perfect opportunity to take a small impromptu trip off campus and have a mini adventure. We’d return just before 7pm, grab our technology and homework, sometimes even a late dinner from the BON and head to the common room to zoom into the meeting. It was a really nice space to it down with another student who I genuinely bond with and participate in race monologues. The club is centered around race, the harsh truths, gendered conversations, familial/immigrational/ & historical discussions. It was always and carefully reiterated that it was a safe space and I think the people that hosted the discussion did a great job and demonstrated that they cared. I made friends and even networked.


Great Expectations is another community for students who may identify with marginalized communities. Throughout my fall semester and even spring semester my GE leader and group get together to have mini check in, movie nights and general food dates. GE is fun and cute, meeting new people from all walks of life and dorm residences, and just chatting and spending time together.