Thoughts from Gender Studies

One of my most interesting classes I’m taking this semester is Genders and Sexualities in the U.S. with Kim Brodkin. This is the first opportunity I’ve had to take a gender studies course, though it’s something I’ve wanted to try out since starting college! I’m finding that it works well both between my personal interests and my Psychology classes and major. I have really appreciated Kim’s efforts so far to provide some structure and consistency during this weird time. The class is a hybrid model, so half of the class comes in-person on Tuesday, and the other half on Thursday, while everyone else joins via Zoom. Of course this can be challenging at times, but I’m really impressed with how well it’s gone. When I’m on Zoom and in-person, I feel like I’m still in the classroom.


Something I’m really enjoying about the class is that many of our readings challenge ideas that many of us hold without questioning. Recently, we listened to an interview with Jules Gill-Peterson, the author of a book called Histories of the Transgender Child. I would highly recommend it! It fits in with our class discussions about how many people have come to accept in recent years that gender and sex are two separate things. But historically, gender and sex have been viewed in many different ways. For example, until mid-century, all humans and animals were viewed as “bisexual,” meaning that every animal had the capacity to “become” one sex or another and that biological sex was not fixed. Clearly, this differs a lot from current and popular beliefs that biological sex is one fixed and cohesive concept, instead of something more abstract and culturally-influenced.


Another thing I’m really enjoying is that the class is structured around discussion rather than lectures most of the time. It’s really cool to hear other students’ thoughts on the readings, since all of us come to the class with different experiences. This class is definitely really interesting so far, and I’m glad I’ve finally gotten the chance to take it!