Book and TV show recommendations

Because of COVID-19, we don't have a spring break this year. Fortunately, we do have two shorter breaks (long weekends), and I'm choosing to spend this break doing things I enjoy to balance my workload. When I have time to, I like reading books that aren't assigned for my classes and watching TV shows to wind down in the evenings. I wanted to share a couple of books and shows I've been enjoying lately!

Books:

A supervisor at work recently recommended the app Libby to me. This is an app that allows you to checkout audiobooks through your local library and listen for free. I didn't have a library card here at first, but it was quick and simple to get setup with a library card for Multnomah County libraries. I've been using this app to listen to audiobooks on walks, while I'm doing chores, and on my commutes to work. Here are some I've listened to or read recently! 

- The Handmaids Tail - I know I'm a little bit late on this one, but I've been planning on reading it for years and listening to the audiobook made that easier. This book is very dark, but really well-written and interesting.

- The Bluest Eye - I'm cheating a little bit, because I did read this for class! Toni Morrison is one of my favorite authors, and it was great to read this book again and take more time to think about and discuss the themes of gender, sexuality, and race.

- Redefining Realness - I just started listening to this book by Janet Mock, a transgender activist. I attended a discussion session through my work about this book and am glad I finally have time to listen to it. 



TV Shows: 

I probably spend more time than I should watching TV during the semester, oops! I find it's a nice way to relax and keep things fun when I don't have many other opportunities. Here are a few shows I've been watching lately!

- Superstore - This show is a lot like The Office or Parks and Rec (as a workplace drama), but takes place in a big Walmart-style store. It's a fun comedy and well-written, I look forward to watching more of this!

- The Sister - I'm a fan of spooky shows with some mystery or drama. This show on Hulu reminds me a lot of How to Get Away with Murder and is very suspenseful.

- Survivor - I've taken a bit of a break from binge watching Survivor seasons, but I started it for the first time last semester. I get way too sucked into the storylines and competitions!