LET'S TALK: life and school in Kenya

hi again!


I’m back with another blog, today I’m going to share about my experience and responses to having class international.


A bit background, I’m currently in Kenya. My family had made a difficult decision to travel during a pandemic, as a family member had been ill and we had to see them. Here I am in Kenya for two more weeks- it’s currently 10:33 in the evening and I have class in about two hours. I’m trying to get some work done before my class, because it ends around 2am and I genuinely don’t know how the next two weeks are going to go with this situation.


The things is, the semester is coming to an end, things are being due, classwork keeps coming, two jobs outside of school, family things occur, and taking care of oneself seems to become more challenging. This is all just my experience, feelings, and there’s always more to the story, I understand everyone has it different, but this one is me. 


Whenever I have a moment to stop in time, in life in the moment, I wonder over and over again -what is the truth? (of course truth is subjective, but) what’s the truth of college, college during a pandemic, college at LC, and more? I would say that is a good question. Through my eyes, college is a time in life that allows one to seek a “higher” education upon the design of the patriarchy. It is also a time to meet lifelong friends, make connections, find one's passion- that possibly even evolves into a career- trying new things and so much more. I remember my first semester when a friend and I would sit in the common room of akin from like 7pm to 2am trying to do homework and end up bouncing from conversational topics. Those were the times where things made sense but at the same time they didn’t.


Right now my truth is a bit unexpected, but I’m glad I’m living in this moment writing to whoever is reading this from Kenya. I can not imagine how those who were or are still international manage attending classes and being attentive, participating, and getting ish done, that time difference- big oof- is incredibly challenging among other things. Sometimes, we go out the whole day exploring the city, making memories, and greeting family we haven’t seen in 11 years- I return home exhausted and drained and continue to make the effort to attend class around 9pm through 2am. Another thing is, this can be totally manageable, but I don’t feel as though it is the optimal situation for students unless someone makes this decision. 


Being back home in Nairobi is an incredible feeling, being able to interact with my family, see where I grew up, and remember the food, learn about the culture and my history. It’s what I always wanted and needed for myself. I am extremely grateful to be here, healthy, and with my family. I 


I have been in close contact with a few friends, and I’m happy that they are in my life because among other things they remind me to take things a step at a time, take care of myself and most importantly listen. So that’s me. 


Until next time, tchau :)