Spring Updates

After our second short break of the semester, it’s time to settle into the routine of the last several weeks of the semester. Even though summer is approaching, it still feels like there’s so much to do! I know that I’ll get everything done that I need to, but it’s definitely a little bit overwhelming to see what’s still left to complete this semester. 

I recently submitted my IRB application for the study I’m working on as a part of my practicum course. I’m hoping that the project will be approved so I can complete my application for grant funding through SAAB. Once those two things are completed (and assuming they go smoothly!) I’ll be able to start collecting data using the survey I’ve developed. This will be my first time using services like mTurk and Qualtrics, so I’m excited and a bit nervous about the learning curve to come.

Besides my practicum, I’ve been finishing my second take home exam for Math 105. Now that I know what the exams are like, it feels fairly manageable to have a take-home exam over the weekend. As a part of that class, I will also be working on a group project to conduct a survey and collect data (I’m realizing that the psychology major is filled with many surveys!) abou drug and alcohol use during the pandemic. Being a nerd about data, I’m excited for this project and to see what kinds of trends we find. 

This has also been an interesting semester to be a TA for PSY300. I’ve been enjoying getting to meet with students during office hours and talk through the assignments, since psych research is something I’m passionate about. I also know that this semester is really challenging for a lot of reasons, and have struggled with being overwhelmed by assignments, dealing with stress, and difficulty staying motivated, so I hope that I’m able to provide some extra help and reduce that stress a little bit.