Sticking to routine

     There are two more weeks in the semester which means that it’s going to be a huge push for the next 3 weeks. The weather is getting better and I’m more ready for summer than I have ever been. I think it’s a combination of being tired from my classes and being tired of COVID. The weather has allowed me to meet up with some friends for the first time since last year and I’m getting my second vaccination the week of finals so I’m really excited to be able to hang out with friends this summer without putting each other at risk of catching COVID. 

With the excitement of summer approaching and hopefully the beginning of the end of COVID it’s hard to stay focused on school work. I love lists and have started to make lists of tasks that I need to get done. I root myself in my routine, I don’t take time off work to finish essays I just force myself to use my time carefully. I let work be a part of my day that reminds me of structure and I make rules for myself that after work I go to the library. I also make myself get up early by scheduling my workout time in the morning at 7 am even on the days when my first class isn’t until 11.


I’m a procrastinator but there are some things that cannot be procrastinated and by making homework a part of my routine even when I don’t have a strict deadline. When things get overwhelming and chaotic it’s essential for me to follow my routine because if I don’t, it’s easy for me to crumble under the pressure. So instead of thinking of how much work I have, I continue my day and do the things I need to do and when I sit down to do my homework I take it one step at a time only allowing myself to think about one class at a time. 


In these final weeks, it’s important for me to stick to my schedule and remember why I’m a college student. The challenge is exciting more than overwhelming.