a week in the life of a theatre major during tech week

The cast of Passion Play

Hey hi! I hope you’ve all had a calm and productive week. I finally find myself in the midst of tech week (again, *cue Jaws theme*) with the rest of the cast of Passion Play, preparing this beautiful show for you all. It has certainly been a lot of work, especially balancing it with classes, and I thought those of you who are interested in a theatre major might want to see what it’s like!

 

Monday:

8:30 - wake up… maybe. If my body allows it. 

9:00 - get ready for the day.

10:00 - go to the library to study. I won’t have time tonight. I sit in my favorite spot on the second floor so I can focus while also watching the squirrels in the trees!

11:30 - go to my Spanish class.

12:30 - go to lunch with my friends! A much-needed little break.

1:50 - go to my Words class.

3:00 - go to my Fundamentals of Movement class. Hopefully, we’re just going to lay on the floor and pretend to be puddles of paint today.

4:30 - go eat dinner with my castmates.

6:00 - go to rehearsal. Learn how to be fish! (Here is me promoting my show. Come watch us be fish!)

10:00 - get home from rehearsal. Do homework. Get ready for bed.

12:00 - go to bed.

 

Tuesday:

8:30 - wake up? I don’t know, man… This Twin XL feels pretty lovely right now.

9:00 - get ready for the day.

9:40 - go to my acting class.

11:10 - go to lunch with my friends (decide whether the Troom or the Bon will be better today).

12:00 - go back to my room to study. I also usually take a minute to play guitar or draw as a way to relax.

5:00 - go eat dinner. Pray for something like mac & cheese.

6:00 - go to rehearsal. Learn how to be birds. (Another promotion! Come watch us be birds!)

10:00 - get home from rehearsal. Do homework. Get ready for bed.

12:00 - fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

 

Wednesday:

8:30 - oh goodness. I guess I’ll wake up.

9:00 - get ready for the day. 

10:00 - do some constructive rest for my Fundamentals of Movement class. Probably do some other homework as well.

11:30 - go to my Spanish class.

12:30 - go to lunch.

1:00 - go back to my room to do some homework.

1:50 - go to my Words class.

2:50 - go to the library to do some homework.

5:00 - go eat dinner. Check the online menu before I get there.

6:00 - go back to my dorm! It’s my day off!

7:00 - really try to find it in my heart and spirit to do some homework.

7:15 - fail at 7:00’s plans. Watch some Gravity Falls instead.

8:00 - try again at doing some homework.

9:00 - practice music for Passion Play (Come hear us sing beautiful music! It’s very haunting. Please be intrigued).

10:00 - free time! 

12:00 - bedtime!

 

Thursday:

8:30 - ....wake up.

9:00 - get ready for the day

9:40 - go to my acting class

11:10 - go to lunch.

12:00 - go back to my dorm to rest, relax, and do some homework. Somehow I still haven’t finished the paper that’s due soon?

3:30 - go to my Fundamentals of Movement class. Learn about the spine!

5:00 - go eat dinner. It’s soup tonight!

6:00 - go to rehearsal. Stay in a “hold” for a very very long time.

10:00 - get home from rehearsal. Do some homework. Get ready for bed.

12:00 - sleeeeeeeeeeep.

 

Friday:

8:30 - no.

9:30 - wake up.

10:00 - get ready for the day and relax a little bit.

11:30 - go to my Spanish class. Ace my Spanish test!

12:00 - go to lunch.

12:45 - have office hours with my lovely and wonderful director! (11/10 recommend)

1:50 - go to my Words class.

2:50 - go back to my dorm to chill and do some homework.

5:00 - go eat dinner.

6:00 - go to rehearsal. We’re on the home stretch!

10:00 - get home from rehearsal. Relax until bedtime.

11:00 - go to bed!!!

 

Saturday:

7:00 - wake up.

7:15 - get ready for the day in darkness so I don’t wake up my roommate at this early hour,

8:00 - go to rehearsal. (Please come see the show. It is SO worth all of the time we’re putting into it!)

12:00 - break for lunch. Eat with my cast members and have a blast.

1:00 - go back to rehearsal.

6:00 - get out of rehearsal.

6:15 - go to dinner. It’s chicken tenders night! And mini cheesecakes? The Bon is really treating us well for Family Weekend.

7:30 - go back to my dorm to relax after so much social interaction.

9:00 - go to the improv show! It was so funny! Everyone, please go support the improv team whenever they put on shows. They are hilarious.

10:00 - get home, get ready for bed.

11:00 - go to bed. I’m completely spent.

 

Sunday:

8:30 - attempt to wake up. Fail.

9:00 - actually wake up.

9:10 - call my mom. (Go call your mom!!!)

10:00 - do some homework. Really try to finish the essay that’s due tomorrow.

11:00 - get ready for the day. Partake in some aromatherapy via my diffuser. Lemongrass has never smelled so good.

12:00 - go to rehearsal. Hopefully, we can get a run-through in!

5:00 - break for dinner. Cross my fingers.

6:00 - go back to rehearsal.

10:00 - get out of rehearsal. Go back to my dorm. Finish writing this essay.

12:00 - go to bed. Man, what a week!

 

That’s it! That’s been my week! It’s rigorous for sure, and I’m definitely tired, but it will be so worth it (especially if you all come to see the show!) This is what I love to do, which is why I’m majoring in it :)

 

Now, for what I’m sure you’ve all been waiting for:


For the Love of Soup

 

This week I’m going to review the Bon’s cheese and broccoli soup! A cast member of mine has sent me on a mission - to find the best cheese and broccoli soup in Portland. Well, with this week being so busy and Portland’s available stock of cheese and broccoli soup being surprisingly low, I didn’t get the chance to try any off-campus. Lucky (?) for me, the Bon had it on its menu.


Soup review: 3.5/5 stars. 

 

Not bad at all! I think this was technically parmesan and broccoli soup, and I’m searching for cheddar and broccoli soup. However, it was quite enjoyable. Paired with some trusty oyster crackers, it made for a good pre-rehearsal meal. 

 

That’s all for this week! Wish me broken legs in this coming week, and I’ll wish you all the same (in the best way, of course).

 

You can get tickets for Passion Play here: https://college.lclark.edu/live/news/46519-passion-play-by-sarah-ruhl

 

-Mack

(they/she/he)

 

email: mwille@lclark.edu

insta: @mack_mae11