dorm room essentials

Hi y'all! 

I hope you had great weeks/weekends. This weekend was our homecoming football game + family weekend, so my mom and sister came up to visit. It was so nice to see them, and the game was great as always- if you can't tell, I like football a lot!

For this week's post, I decided that I would go for simple and list some of the items that I found handy while living in a traditional dorm with a communal restroom and kitchen. 

Shower shoes

It goes without saying why these are a must for communal restrooms. I suggest some that have drainage holes in the bottoms! A shower caddy is a good idea as well.

Bathrobe

Much easier (and more.. secure) than wrapping yourself in a towel to get from your room to the shower. Plus, there are some super cute ones out there. 

Slippers or slides 

When you're running down to grab your laundry or to the restroom or to let your friend into your building, you don't want to have to lace up your shoes, but you also don't want to leave your room in socks. This one might seem like a no-brainer, but I realized before I came to campus that I didn't own a single good pair of slippers or slides. I've gone through two in my past three semesters, so it's def something you should bring!

Electric kettle

If you're like me and rely *heavily* upon your morning caffeine, an electric kettle lets you save a bit of money by making your own coffee/tea.  An electric kettle + a mini french press is an economical alternative to a Keurig or something similar. You can also use it to make ramen, instant soup, or oatmeal- all from the comfort of your room.

The stars of today's post are my much-beloved kettle and mini french press- they've been through it all with me!

Dishsoap + dishscrubber + dish towel

Some RAs will provide these supplies in the community kitchen, but not all do. Dirty dishes piling up in your room will annoy your roommate(s) and can attract ants. No one wants ants. So bring some dishwashing supplies :)

Mugs! Tons of mugs!

Mugs are the stars of dorm room cooking - you can substitute a mug for almost any dish you'd need. You can even use them as measuring cups if you know their capacity! Plus, you can make a chocolate chip cookie in them. This is my favorite recipe :) I suggest checking out a thrift store to find some quirky + cheap options. Also, remember to bring some silverware with you. I would also suggest getting a measuring spoon (they make handy silicone ones that can be adjusted to multiple sizes in one spoon) and a measuring cup.

Chip clips + tupperware + ziplock baggies

All of these things will help to extend the life of your snacks, prevent ants, and keep your food separate in communal fridges if that's something you're worried about!

Cleaning supplies

You don't need to go crazy on these if you're living in a traditional dorm, because common areas will be cleaned for you. But having at least some Lysol wipes (or even better, a reusable cleaning cloth + cleaning spray) is a good idea. Dust/other random icky stuff will build up on surfaces in your room, and you can never be too safe with the continuing pandemic.

Wax warmer/Diffuser

Candles aren't allowed in LC housing (and with good reason- open flame + late-night study seshes just aren't a good mix). But if you're like me and love the ambiance that a good ~aroma~ brings, I would suggest getting a diffuser or an electric wax warmer. They have the same effect, minus the fire risk (although you sadly won't get that soothing, flickering flame).

String lights

Inexpensive, super easy to hang with command hooks, and they instantly make your room feel cozy. They're also super nice to have as an alternative to the overhead lights, which can be a little harsh.

That's all I can think of for now!  I hope this list was a little helpful, and that y'all have a great week :) 

xo

Ashleen