some college life staples

Hey hi! Welcome back! I hope your week has been splendid, and if not splendid, maybe...eventful? Whichever way it goes, I hope it wasn’t bad.

My week was PACKED.


Something pretty fundamental to my existence is my relationship to theatre. I have been doing theatre since I was 5 years old and will most likely be pursuing it as a major. For those of you who are familiar with the theatre scene, I’m sure you’re all well acquainted with the ever foreboding (*cue Jaws theme*) tech week.


Well, we’re not quite there. But almost! During such a busy time, I wanted to share a few staples I've found to be useful during my short time as a college student at L&C so far.

  • Good friends.

I’ve found myself pretty stressed this past week, but the presence of some reliable and hilarious friends has really helped take the burden off of my shoulders. It’s especially nice to take walks around this beautiful campus with some of my favorite people this fall! The brightly colored autumn leaves seem to make good friends too :)


                                                              ft. Pumpkin Friend at his birthday dinner!

  • A reason to leave your dorm every day.

I feel like it’s a pretty common occurrence to prepare for college and think to yourself, “This is it! This is the time when I'll finally break out of my shell and expand my horizons. I’ll join every club, go out every weekend, and try something new every day!” And, while I applaud that enthusiasm, I also understand the temptation of staying in your room. Both are good things, but I think it’s important to find the balance. It’s unrealistic to do so many adventurous things at once, especially in a brand new setting like college, but I try to find a reason to leave my residence hall at least once every day, even if it’s just to eat dinner at the Bon. 

  • Slugs??

I’ve found it to be the highlight of my day when I see a slug on my way to class, just making its way across the cobblestone paths. Please say hello to every slug and be careful not to step on them. Maybe one of them will grow up to win the Nobel Peace Prize. 

  • The Watzek Library!!!

Honestly, I don’t think I would get anything done if it weren’t for our incredible Watzek library. Sure, you could study in your dorm room, but why do that when you could be surrounded by a bunch of really nice people and a ton of books? The tables by the big windows on the second floor are seriously the only place I can focus. 10/10 would recommend. 

  • And finally...actual staples???

This last one actually leads us right into this week’s segment of For the Love of Soup. I sure do have a story to tell you all.


Picture this: there I am, getting dinner at the Bon before rehearsal. I see that broccoli and cauliflower cheddar soup is on the menu, and as you all know, I love soup. I step right up to those kettles and grab myself a bowl. I sit down to eat with my lovely friends. I stir in my oyster crackers and ready my spoon. I take a bite. Then, I think to myself: Hmm, that’s not a texture I usually associate with any of the ingredients I understand to be in this soup


Low and behold, a staple has found its way into my soup! Yes! A staple, so far from its home inside of a stapler. I remove the staple and continue to eat, but the thrill isn’t over yet. Next, I remove half of a metal brad from my soup. I guess I missed the memo about the office supply x Bon soup collaboration.




Soup Review: 2/5 stars?


Honestly, the soup was pretty decent. However, fearing that I may swallow a piece of metal during the process of consumption dampened the experience a little. 


Have a wonderful week, Pios! Brush your teeth, eat your veggies, and double check your soup. 


-Mack

(they/she/he)

 

email: mwille@lclark.edu

insta: @mack_mae11