work-study, and how it works :)

Hi, y'all, and Happy Halloween! The fall weather in Portland has been so beautiful, and we've been gifted with a couple rain-free days!
I also made some vegetarian enchiladas for dinner on Monday that came out fantastic- the recipe is here, I just made them with black beans instead of refried. One of the perks of on-campus apartment living is getting to cook for myself and my roommates.

For this week's post, I thought I'd talk a little about one aspect of financial aid that you might receive if you decide to attend LC: work-study! I've received work-study every year that I've attended LC, and I currently have three work study jobs. I do various office tasks in the Financial Aid office, and I work remotely for both the Health services office and the Admissions office, doing social-media and outreach-related tasks. There's a huge variety of work-study jobs to choose from on campus. You can work in an office setting for one of the many on-campus departments, work outside with the grounds crew, man the front desk at the library, or work remotely designing social media posts! New opportunities are available every semester. There are jobs available with hours that suit just about any schedule- you can go into an office for consistent hours every week, or be part of events staff that only works occasionally at sports games or similar events. A lot of the options can actually be quite fun! And you can always work multiple jobs, like I do, if one job doesn't satisfy the amount of hours you need/want to work.

A common misconception about work-study jobs is that what you make will be applied directly to your student balance for tuition, etc. But at LC, you instead will receive a check every month, just like with most jobs. Work-study is intended to be flexible, so you can use the money for whatever you need it for- groceries, textbooks, supplies, etc.- but can also apply it towards your tuition if that's where it needs to go. You have a set amount of money that you can earn every month through work-study, listed in your financial aid award- so be sure and keep track of that.

If you're an incoming freshman, I would recommend starting to look for work-study jobs before you arrive at campus. You'll already know if you're eligible for work-study at that point, and a head-start will allow you to apply for more jobs. Most jobs will be posted between late August and the end of September, but they will continue to be posted throughout the semester as need arises. Applying is simple, and done entirely online. You'll need an up-to-date resume, and some jobs require a cover letter. The on-campus Career Center is a great resource if you need help putting those things together! And don't stress if you've never worked before. Although experience is never a bad thing, many students come to campus never having worked before, and are easily able to find a work-study job. Most jobs require an interview.

I also wanted to say a bit about non-work-study jobs on campus for those of you who may not receive it as a part of your financial aid. While many jobs on campus do require or prefer work-study awards, there are plenty of jobs that do not. Some examples are working for Bon Appétit, the on-campus food service provider, or tutoring for an academic department.

Beyond making money, working on campus in any capacity is a great way to get familiar with how the college works, as well as boost your resume and learn new skills. I've also been lucky enough to make some friends in the offices I've worked in :)

These past few weeks have been crazy busy, and I haven't gotten out as much as I would have liked- so apologies for my posts not being the most exciting! I'm hoping that as things relax a bit before finals, I'll get to go on some more adventures to share with y'all.

Until next week :) xo Ashleen