avoiding burnout (and a bonus squirrel video!)

 Hi everyone!

I hope y'all had good weeks! My week was *extremely* busy- I had a paper due, peer editing, an annotated bibliography- and I have a test tomorrow morning I've been studying for like crazy. My dad and stepmom also made it up for a quick visit on Saturday, which was super nice. I'm not going home for Thanksgiving break this year, so it was great to see them! 

I also encountered this squirrel today:


He look very prepared to leap out of the trash can and onto me when he realized he was being filmed.

Okay, now for the main event: let's talk about burnout.

Even though college is pretty much always busy, things definitely ramp up around the middle of November. Academics are so rewarding, but they can start to feel very overwhelming when the final projects are piling up and I'm feeling like there's no way I can manage all the things.

Burnout is real. I hadn't really felt it before I came to college, but it hit hard halfway through my first semester. It sneaks up on you. And it's still something I have to fight- I tend to get so wrapped up in my work when things get busy that I stop taking the best care of myself. I'm getting better at recognizing when I'm pushing myself too hard, but it's a process. 

Start with the little things. Drink enough water, eat enough food. Plan your day and start your homework and studying early enough that you can get decent rest. And fresh air is also so important! Making time for even a tiny little 15-minute walk can do wonders. On days when the weather's bad, I still make an effort to at least open my windows for a few minutes.

Organization helps me avoid burnout too. It sounds obvious, but some people (like me) just aren't naturally inclined to organize. Google Calendar is really helpful for me- I put in my classes, my study group meetings, my meetings with profs- literally everything. Staying organized helps you get things done on time, and I find that just seeing everything I have to do laid out neatly helps me stress less.

Find what little self-care things are good for you. It doesn't need to be fancy. My favorite thing to do is to set aside a couple of hours in the evening to watch a new movie I've been wanting to see for a while. I try my best to put away my phone while I watch, and I make myself a tea and a snack. Making it into a little event helps me escape from the weight of school for a few hours, and just that can be so refreshing. School doesn't need to be on your brain *all* the time, and some time alone can be really relaxing.

Interaction with other people can also help. I'll make time to FaceTime my sister or my parents, or go on a quick walk with a friend. My roommates and I eat dinner together almost every night, and it's one of my favorite parts of the day. Hearing about their days helps me to not focus on my stress for a few minutes, and there's just something about taking a break to share food with people. Emotional and physical fuel! 

Above all, don't forget to check in with yourself. Pushing yourself to the point of burnout is only going to hurt you academically in the long run. I didn't do the best this week with being kind to myself and taking breaks- but next week will be better. :) 

I hope y'all have great weeks and enjoy your Thanksgivings if you celebrate! 

xo

Ashleen