end of the week w/ Ray Warren Symposium & Race Monologues

 hi, hello, welcome back


I don’t know about you but this weekend was probably one of my favorites. A mini recap:


-thursday: I had the chance and pleasure of attending a panel presentation hosted by the Ray Warren Symposium on Race and Ethnic Studies called Black Joy. This was one of the mornings from my week where the minute I woke up I felt very uneasy and uncomfortable with my mind in connection with my emotions and body, but pushing through and attending this panel gave me a certain reassurance that I desperately needed that day. Listening to Black folk talk and share their perspectives and stories on JOY and how it intersected with their lives and justice was so empowering and in a small way healing for myself and the presenters. It was an amazing hour and a half I spent learning new ways to heal and begin exploring what I would like my joy to look like as a Black person- Black woman. Leaving the panel I felt a sense of liberation, gratitude and glee.


-friday: after my first class of the day ended at 11:20am I got some lunch with a friend and ended up taking some time to myself and didn’t attend my last class of the day. This is probably one of my favorite memories I hope to never forget and always value. Friday was the concluding night of the Ray Warren Symposium on Race and Ethnic Studies, and it was the night of Race Monologues Presentation. About 400 people showed up to actively listen to various LC students share original pieces of their personal narratives on feelings, experiences in connection with race, ethnicity, and identity. It was such a surreal night, to be able to stand in front of the biggest crowd I have ever and deliver/share my monologue that was written from scratch, that contains so much emotion, heartbreak and exhaustion. And I look forward to doing it again and again until I finish my time here at LC. SO PROSPECTIVE POC STUDENTS & CURRENT LC POC STUDENTS-- CHECK IT OUT!! You might be surprised to find a new community. And after y’all know we had to keep the hype with a party until 3am type thing.


-saturday: from coming home at 3am I woke up at 11am feeling some type of way not good not bad and got breakfast with a good friend whom I performed our race monologues with the night before :) i came back to my room around 1pm and as expected- i rested! I really slept from 1pm to about 4pm and it was a much needed rest and sleep. I genuinely enjoy resting when there's light out and at night, I take advantage of the time I have to rejuvenate and take special care of my energy and emotions- because it’s exhausting, draining, and heavy. After I woke up, I spent the rest of my afternoon/night binge watching an entire series with three seasons-30min episodes each. I was content with how I spent the remainder of my day.


-sunday: didn’t wake up feeling so good; i was having major imposter syndrome, overflowing feelings and thoughts internally and externally. But heading out to sellwood through the pio with a great friend made my day so much better, she made me feel better, the evening I spent thrifting, walking and exploring, doing homework at starbucks, and getting dinner before we waited an hour for the pio made my whole day so much better! 


-until next time, tchau



thought I'd share my lil fit ;)
vibing w/ my kenyan custom made blazer!

thoughtful gifts given to us (race monologue presenters) from the co-chairs :)


sunday in sellwood