so many campus events happening? all the time?

Hey hi! I hope this post finds you filled with yummy treats and petting a dog. That’s always my dream state, anyways…

 

This week, I thought I’d talk about some of the campus events I’ve been attending lately! It seems as if there are countless events happening all the time here, which is something I am definitely not used to yet. I actually had to create a note on my phone this week exclusively to keep track of everything I was asked to come to/saw posters about on campus. It really does warm my heart to see so many things going on, and how much community there is at LC. Of course, my schedule this week nowhere near encapsulates the volume of things going on during this time of year, but this was my little slice of LC life this week.

 

On Monday, I attended a movie night with a few of my friends to watch Princess Mononoke. One of my good friends hosts a Ghibli Movie Monday every week and is slowly but surely making their way through a whole roster of Ghibli films, beautiful as they are. I had never seen Princess Mononoke, so I was very excited to finally do so. My Studio Ghibli exposure is surprisingly small, as I’ve only seen four or five of them. I think my favorite will always be My Neighbor Totoro, though, because my siblings introduced me to it as a child.


On Tuesday, I was fortunate enough to get my COVID-19 Moderna booster shot due to a clinic that was being offered on campus! The booster gave me a run for my money that day, but I'm definitely glad to have it.


On Wednesday, I attended the Co-Op’s Trans Night of Resistance. They hosted an open mic night, and I was very lucky to see a couple of my dear friends perform art based on their experiences and their own transness. Their performances were absolutely beautiful, and it was also the first time I had ever been to the Co-Op, a student-run space with its own coffee shop!

 

On Thursday, I returned to the Co-Op for the IMPROV SHOW! I have so many friends who are a part of the improv troupe here at LC, and they are so incredibly funny. I also attended their Halloween show in October. This show featured some longer games, and the audience was all-in. Their creative on-the-spot humor stays fresh and holds something for everyone. I really, really enjoyed it. A Capella also performed, singing “Motion Sickness” by Phoebe Bridgers and “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” by Tears for Fears.

 

Afterward, a few friends and I attended a very small “rave” in the KLC radio station, located in lower Templeton. We didn’t stay long, but it was some very loud fun while we were there. We migrated to Smith Hall, where the Campus Activities Board was hosting a “White Lies Party.” Students could come and get a white t-shirt to write white lies on, then dance with their friends inside. Again, we didn’t stay for long, but it was fun to dance together nonetheless.

 

Saturday night, I attended a vocal showcase with some friends from the theatre department in the Evans music building. Sunday afternoon, I did the same, but for a different friend. Both performances were astoundingly magnificent. Again, I found that the pure love and support emanating from all of these people for one another just filled my heart to the brim. Moments like these remind me time and time again of why I chose LC. 

 

It was definitely a packed week, but you know it wouldn’t be complete without an edition of For the Love of Soup.

 

This week’s soup was a cream of broccoli, which I paired with the tomato-bacon-grilled cheese sandwich also being served that night. Soups with broccoli in them are actually some of my favorites. While the Bon can be extremely questionable at times, I can usually find something to eat at one station or another. This soup, paired with the sandwich as well, wasn’t half bad! It was pretty standard, so nothing remarkable, but definitely not bad.


Soup Review: 3.5 stars

 

That’s all, folks! Have a great week and an even better Thanksgiving break!

 

-Mack

(they/she/he)

 

email: mwille@lclark.edu

insta: @mack_mae11