A holiday party with our president

 


    This week I had the pleasure to work at the annual holiday party for alumni, hosted at the amazing Cooley house. This house is a historic proprety of Lewis & Clark, where the college president resides. I was given the chance to work at the entrance checking vaccination cards, and of course explore and talk to others at the event. The holiday atmosphere was great, with beautiful decorations all around the place, and a few fireplaces. 

     But most of all I loved meeting so many interesting alumni! The first people to arrive were a local Lewis & Clark couple, who are 93 and 91 years old! It was amazing to see that even after all these years they are connected with the college. Just goes to show what an impact a good community has. When something is not right, you don't come back to it, yet when you love something coming back is just like coming home. 

      I also met a man who helped create the Davis scolarship program, thanks to which I am attending this school! Hearing his stories and how he fought to found what changed mylife forever was fascinating. It was nice to directly say thank you to someone finally, my life has a completely different direction thanks to those who gave the effort to create these opportunities for me. All this help we have - someone put in the effort to make it a reality, and it's so easy to forget that.

      A highlight as well was talking to the president Wim! I learned he backpacked through my home country 50 years ago! Back then it was called Yugoslavia, and now it is Bosnia and Herzegovina. He even remembers a few words in Croatian - 'kruh', 'pivo', and 'dobar dan'. Enough if you ask me. 

      There were too many people for me to talk about all of them, but let me finish with praising the food... Gorgonzola and apple? D E L I C I O U S. To be honest I only took it assuming it was ham, but it was perfect.

      If you ever have a chance to attend, or work here like myself - I recommend the experience!