self appreciation during finals

 hi, hello, welcome back! :)


this blog is going to be about the appreciation of GE mentors from IME.


As this semester comes to an end, many are on ege, many are sleep deprived, many are finding moments to stay happy and time that bring joy.


on saturday IME (inclusion and multicultural engagement) brought me joy. It was a night for the mentors, for those who were able to make it out, our wonderful director and other peers took out for a fun night! We went bowling and had dinner together, and what a night it was. For most of us it was the first time in a while since we had bowled and for one of us it was the first time bowling ever! This was a night to appreciate the mentors and all the work they- we do.


Being someone for others is an extremely tiring job, but it can also be one that’s worth it and one that people choose. I chose to be a mentor. I chose to use my time to be there for others- for first years who may be a bit confused and curious because not only do I genuinely enjoy working with others but it’s what I had my first year and wanted to reciprocate that feeling and experience. Being a “mentor”, a friend for the first years is so extremely important, because there’s so much more to college than academics and more than most the first year of college is usually followed by a 3 month break from graduating high school. AND there’s so much information that the schools won’t tell you, and for those of marginalizing communities things get even more complicated and challenging. 


So with that being said, I’ll put together a list for the next blog about what we (as in first year, and/or first generation, and/or BIPOC ) as students wish we’d know when beginning college or while we’re in the first year of college.


Something this evening reminded me of is that people do appreciate me, and that I should appreciate myself outside being a mentor, outside of being a student, basically outside so many parameters that are set for the outside. :) 


Until next time, thcau.