surviving online school (and am I doing it?)

Hey hi, Pios!

It’s been a while now, hasn’t it? How was your winter break?


If you’re like me, you probably had a love/hate relationship with it. Happy, of course, to have a break from schoolwork and to see whatever people you love back home; and sad, because you miss the generally homey feeling of school and all of your new friends. 


I was particularly bummed out, as I’m sure everyone was, to hear about the first few weeks of school being online. After all, we’re not paying an absolutely absurd amount of tuition to sit in our rooms and look at a screen for 6 hours a day. I ultimately decided to stay home for a couple more weeks. If I can take a couple more weeks of home food (as opposed to the Bon), as well as not having to stay in my tiny dorm room for 3 weeks straight, I figured I would snatch the opportunity. 


However, that doesn’t mean that life has been so much better here. I’m still feeling a TON of Zoom fatigue and my eyes hurt to the high heavens (even with these blue light glasses :-/). My sleep routine still isn’t back to normal, I wake up feeling unmotivated and unorganized, and my schedule feels unbalanced. After such a mellow first week, I was suddenly hit today with a truck-load of homework I didn’t expect to be due in such little time. Needless to say, online school is Not It. 


There are plenty of pros and cons to each side of this situation, and I’m ultimately happy with my decision to stay. I think I would be much worse off right now if I were up at L&C. However, I miss the rain, my stuffies (shout out to my strawberry cow, Mitski), and drinking tea with my lovely friends. I’m excited to return next week and hopefully re-enter the productive routine I established last semester. Now, perhaps this is naïve, but I think I’ll continue to hope that school returns to in-person after these long three weeks. Positivity always has a place in the room.


Unfortunately and unbelievably, I actually didn’t eat that much soup over the break! My mom did make a delicious garlic and mushroom soup at one point, but I did not take any pictures of it….nor am I able to recreate it and give it to you all. But, as soon as I’m back on campus, expect the soup reviews to be up and kicking!


Here, have some pictures of the Skyrim gingerbread house I built with my partner, featuring gingerbread Edward and Bella glistening in the front yard.

See you all soon!


-Mack

(they/them)

 

email: mwille@lclark.edu

insta: @mack_mae11