Sunday Meetings

     I’m 15 minutes late, but it’s okay. Almost everyone is at least a few minutes late. I know I will get clowned for it if I’m 30 minutes late to an hour-long meeting (one that usually runs over because we all lose track of time) but it’s friendly and will give everyone a laugh, especially if somebody shows up even later. I’m looking forward to the friendly teasing and loud conversations at today's BSU meeting. Even though it’s my fourth year at Lewis and Clark and around my eighth year attending PWIs I still feel out of place at times and the weekly BSU meetings have been a safe place for me since freshman year. The BSU reminds me that I’m not the only one feeling out of place, targeted, or tired of the microaggressions that come with living in such a white state. 

    Today we talked about academics and feeling out of place or called out in certain academic settings, and it felt good to be reminded that I’m not alone and also that my anger was shared. It was very validating to hear that my anger was understood and I wasn’t overreacting or making things up because other people had experienced the same thing. It’s these safe spaces where I feel most myself. I don’t have to prove myself or pretend to be somebody I’m not. I don’t know if I would be able to attend a PWI without BSU. I made most of my closest friends through the club and really hope it continues to be a place for black students to feel safe and make connections at LC. BSU is collaborative and even though there is a leadership team every member has the opportunity to decide what they want to talk about during the meetings and a part during event planning.

    I make it to Tamarack, where we meet every Sunday at 5:00pm, around 20 minutes late. I stand at the door waiting for someone to notice me and let me in, it only takes a few seconds. "What's good y'all," I say as I walk in and am greeted with friendly hellos and filled in on what we're talking about. There is a lot of laughter and some angry rants that usually end in joking it off or hyping each other up when ranting about a certain professor or aspect of Lewis and Clark that we can't stand.

    At the end of our meeting, some of us walk together continuing earlier conversations as we head towards our dorm rooms or the Bon to get dinner. I feel refreshed after being in an environment that is supportive and relaxed and I go into the new week feeling empowered.