The Return Of the Bus Stop

 DISCLAIMER: I do not condone or support doing anything irresponsible

This Tuesday some were mourning a lonely Valentine's day, but many of us on campus were mourning something else - the bus stop was moved!

Now, if you are not familiar with the bus stop let me tell you more about it. It is my absolute favorite spot on campus, one where I met so many of my friends, where international students created a small home, and where all other students regularly come as well. Unfortunately, the bus changed its route a few months ago, and this bus stop was merely just there for us students to sit at and hang out. I spent most of my weekend and weekday nights there listening to music and laughing with my friends. 

And when I was walking to work on Tuesday morning, after a test, already not having the best day, seeing that the bus stop was gone hit me like a ton of bricks. 

But, I wasn't the only one. Slowly I saw all my social media covered with posts about the bus stop. Everyone at Lewis & Clark was slowly mourning together. Coping as a community, after the loss of the best hang-out spot on campus. We quickly learned it was moved to the other side of campus, very far away from all the residential buildings, and its old spot. 

Very quickly, a 'wake' for the bus stop was organized that night at 10pm. We all had our chores, our responsibilities, our to-do lists. That did not matter at the moment, we all had to come together. I came a bit earlier, bringing chalk in order to help honor the spot properly. There were already 30 people there! 


Slowly the crowd started growing, and at some point, I swear there were over 100 people in this very small space. 

And, somehow, they all decided to go get the bus stop back?


I stayed by with the candles and around 20 people, waiting, not expecting this would actually work. But they made it!!! In half an hour, they physically CARRIED the bus stop back:


My heart filled with joy, but I was utterly confused at how this ACTUALLY HAPPENED??? It seemed like an episode of a Disney teen show, that never occurs in real life. Yet it did... And it felt so amazing.

It was most definitely a combination of things: our strong feelings towards this safe space we all shared, a need for some sort of control in the unpredictable times of this decade, an eternal sense of community that made us feel bigger than the world.

And it was beautiful... The best night of my whole life. I couldn't pinpoint why. But I've never been more amazed than in those moments. Thank you Lewis & Clark community, for that.