Alternative Spring Break, and what made it amazing

 What is the alternative spring break?

For the first time in forever, L&C organized an alternative spring break - a trip during spring break, where students go somewhere to volunteer. 

I'll admit what first caught my eye was an opportunity to go to Washington DC, BUT, a lot has changed since I first read that email. The purpose of the trip was to combat food insecurity by meeting and working with local organizations in DC, and that's exactly what we did. It's funny to even suggest I somehow fundamentally changed in the 5 days I've been away from Portland, but some fire inside of me was reignited. A sense of hope, motivation to make the world a better place, no matter how little we feel we can do. 

One of the several takeaways from this trip was a quote from a speaker (the president of DC Greens): "Follow your goosebumps." In translation, when you feel passion for something, don't let it fizzle out, make the most of it - make a life of it. That quote spoke to me on levels that transcended this trip, but I felt those goosebumps during our volunteering. 

At first, I wondered how much difference could we make, being there for a few days. It felt almost pointless - as if it would be better to donate the money we'd need for it rather than go. But as you start, something changes. It isn't something distant, or a to-do list you hear about. You fill those bags yourself, with things you know will make the week of a family. You do it manually, and you talk to people at the front who come to pick it up, and you see how a group of people becomes a wonderfully synced machine in order to make this happen. And why? Simply because they want to, they want to help. I met so many people this week that truly inspired me to be a better person. Cliche? Possibly. I've noticed though, we all get lost in taking things at face value, and stripping them of their meaning. 

We distance ourselves from the true impact of activities like this one, convincing ourselves we don't have time, we wouldn't do much anyway, etc. etc, and none of that is true.  All it takes is one day, one day where you show up, and see the impact. You're not just a bystander, nor a grand of sand, you're a person who ensured someone wouldn't fall asleep hungry that day. I don't mean that to come off in an 'I'm a savior' way, actually, I beg of you - leave yourself out of the equation when you consider this. Consider who you're helping, and how much that means. 

There's too much that I've learned about myself on this trip to write, but I will give you the main takeaway- any little role in a working system is significant, and it takes so much coordination to make it possible. Being part of a system doesn't make the help any less important or meaningful, it means you're on the right track.

I am so grateful for this opportunity, for all the people who made it possible, and I would recommend it to everyone. Not only that I now want to be involved in my community again, but I've also met people who share the same passion, and who I hope to stay friends with.