let's talk: Sociology & Anthropology as a major?

 hi, hello, welcome! In today's blog I will be chatting about some things I’ve learned about being/pursuing a SOAN major so far :)


SOAN MAJOR REFLECTIONS:

Sociology & Anthropology (SOAN) is probably the most interesting major at LC and my favorite. Obviously as a student majoring in SOAN I am most fascinated by the anthropology part of the major. Just a bit of background: I see SOAN to be a way of always asking questions, looking into the past to understand the present and wonder about the future. Understanding why people do certain things, or digging into history (physically), and so much more. 



A couple things I have come to realize while being a BIPOC studying SOAN is:

 

  1. The reading material (books, articles, journals, videos) may reflect the experiences of the readers, so there may be some deeply felt emotion and/or reflection. Sometimes you wake up feeling a certain way and unexpectedly go to class and begin discussing a topic of personal experience. So I check out the syllabus of each of my classes, for a little mental preparation.

  2. Start projects on time: I know this is something many are familiar with, procrastination. I would say I take time off starting projects, which ends up just being me stressing and worrying myself silly about not getting work done, but also taking time off sometimes to “work” . It can get to be a small unhealthy circle for me. But fear not, it is something I am working on :)


I recently came to the conclusion that within the classroom we don’t spend much time talking about the way in which our positionality (the identities we hold; gender, race, physical appearances, level of knowledge) connects with our major. Spending so much time learning new things has changed me within these two years of college. I’m expanding my knowledge and asking different types of questions, and it may be a lot but it’s wonderful.


I’ll say that for now. Sometimes I have so many thoughts, things blur or blend, so I hope these two things are something to start with when incoming students are considering their majors. There’s so much truth to having so much time to decide your major, and that’s it’s valid to change your major. 


tchau :) thanks for sticking around


^no part of this photo is photoshopped