Staying In Touch

 The semester is almost over and I've been reflecting on going back home, and in turn, I've been thinking of all the people I haven't seen in so long.

The truth is, I have drifted away from many people in the past year, and that kind of hurt me. I was thinking of some of the friends I feel so distant with now, and I just couldn't understand what I did wrong for them not to stay in touch... We often put this weight on other people to prioritize us, and that mistake was on me as well. 

I thought of all the people who I haven't stayed in touch with even though I wish I had, and it made me feel a lot better because it was never their fault we didn't stay in touch. It was life that gets busy. Living in the same town your whole life lets you stay close to people for years because you're all always conveniently available. There are many pros to that, but moving away from that routine also shows you how big a part of staying close to someone is sheer routine. 

I love my friends as much as always, but I am realizing that it's okay we don't text every day, or facetime always. Just because I talk less to someone, shouldn't stop me from inviting them to hang out when I'm back. I'd be so happy if people hit me up to hang out when I'm back, so why wouldn't they be if I do it?

Staying in touch is great, not being consistent is normal. You're growing as a person, and your true friends will be happy to see all that progress when you're back!

And here's a picture of a sunny walk on this beautiful Portland weekend.